Alice At The Hospital

It's here, folks! Please, keep reading. 

As soon as I walked into the room mom was in—the same one as yesterday—I felt a spasm of panic. Mom was lying down in bed, completely still, not moving in the slightest. I froze up, scared, until I saw her chest rise up in an inhale. I let out a breath I had no idea I was holding.

“Scared for a moment there, weren’t you?”

I almost jumped at the voice coming from behind me. Turning around, I saw Dr Cullen’s brilliant blond profile heading into the room with a smile playing on his face.

“Not as much as you just did.” I put a hand on my chest but still smiled back.

“How’s my mom doing?”

He took a few steps towards the bed and checked mom’s stats on the hospital monitor beside him. Hell if I knew what they read, but it looked as if the information satisfied him.

“She’s doing great. There was a brief round of pain about a couple of hours ago, but I gave her some meds. She’s been out cold ever since.”

I nodded at his words, eyes still on mom. She looked so peaceful, and I felt way better seeing her in the flesh. “Has she had the surgery yet?”

He shook his head. “She started the fasting process last night. The surgery isn’t due until five.”

My eyes darted to the clock resting high above the wall. It read forty past three. “And how long does she have to stay after the actual surgery?”

“That depends. She could recover fast and be out of here in no more then three days.” He kept quiet, not adding anything after that.

“Or she could what?” I prompted.

“Or something could go wrong.” At my shocked look, he quickly added, “But the chances of that are slim. This surgery is probably one of the easiest I’ve ever done.”

“Well, that’s good I guess.” Rubbing my eyes, I took an armchair seat in the corner.

Doctor Cullen peered at me, expression unreadable. “Thomas.” He said softly.

I looked up. “What’s up?”

“How’s the group home?”

I shrugged. “A bit cramped, but I can deal with it.” Running a hand through my hair, I sighed. “At least it’s only temporary.”

“Yes, it is.”

It looked like he was about to add something when someone suddenly walked in.

It was a girl, a beautiful girl at that, who seemed tiny with a pixie face and dark spikes sticking out of her scalp in every direction. She seemed familiar. I could only stare at her, speechless, but thankfully she didn’t notice me. It looked like she wanted to speak to Doctor Cullen.

“Carlisle.”

Her voice was perfect, as delicate as a wind chime, and it took that for me to put a name to that splendour. Alice Cullen, one of Doctor Cullen’s adopted daughters. Even though they weren’t related by blood, they had a lot of similar features. The chalk skin, the perfect features, the.....the eyes. I narrowed my own eyes a little, something elusive tugging at the back of my head. There was something I was missing.

Doctor Cullen looked surprised to see his daughter. “Alice? What are you doing here?”

“I need to talk to you.” Through the daze, I managed to catch the urgency to her words. Actually, studying closely, it seemed like Alice looked a tad shaken.