Masses

Its disappearance was opposite to its occurrence: the Pain had come in long, stretched-out bouts, like a sand-timer, whereas it left in one, rapid absorption. Strangely, that was the first thing I noted. Not that I was no longer dead, or dying—I was very much alive, actually—but that the Pain, the very Pain that had taken such a leisurely time to destroy my essence—had fled in retreat, like some wounded beast.

It was gone. So was the Cold, and so was the numbness. They’d paled and faded like autumn leaves in the wind, leaving me to regain my wit.

An indistinct relief had settled throughout me, calming the waves of distress that had once seized my perishing vessel. Whereas before I’d felt numb and empty, I could now sense the fullness of my veins, and the pounding of my heart.

I was breathing, and I was living.

True, I was still surrounded in utter darkness, and it felt like an elephant was perched upon my head, but I was able to twitch my fingers. Movement. And I could hear things again.

It was silent in the darkness, almost peaceful. Now that the Pain was gone, I registered just how fatigued I was. It would be so easy to sleep, so effortless to slip away into unconscious oblivion once more.....

Flick. Flick. Flick.

I jerked slightly as several stings struck my cheek.

Flick. Flick. Flick.

It continued on for a few more moments, the pestering flicking, effectively filling me with aggravation.

Flick, Flick—

“Ow,” I finally muttered. “I’m trying to follow the light here.”

With baffling exertion, I managed to open my eyes. My first visual greeting into reality was a peaked ceiling. Staring at it, I wondered why it seemed unfamiliar. Then I realized it was because I had no idea where I was.

I turned to my other side, to see a half open door with a short hallway just beyond it. It took me an extensive minute to sit upright, another to disregard the sudden spell of nausea that struck with the motion, and then I registered the room around me. It had light blue walls and a wooden floor. There was a window, framed with yellowed lace curtains, and a desk, bearing surface to an aged computer. Strangely, a rocking chair stood despondent in a corner.

Where am I? Getting to my feet, I shuffled out the door and to the top of a staircase, which was where a drastic fist of pain made violent contact with my temple. It brought an excruciating pulsation to my body, which travelled all around my insides and knocked me off my feet. Before I knew, it my nerves iced over, my eyes rolled back, and darkness once again fell.

.....

“Thomas. Thomas, can you hear me? Wake up, Thomas. THOMAS!”

I suddenly jolted out of the nothingness I’d been trapped in, blinking wildly to ward away the disorientation. I wasn’t in the room anymore, I managed to note—I was laid carefully on a sofa. An afghan draped my body, and my head felt sore.

“Thomas, buddy. You okay?”

I blinked again, realizing that the person who had asked the question was Chief Swan. He was bent near the sofa, next to Renesmee, and, to my surprise, Jacob.

“Huh?” I grunted moronically.

“Well, at least his speech hasn’t been impaired,” Jacob muttered.

I focused my wavering eyesight on him. “Who let the dog in?”

“Oh, Thomas!”

Abruptly, I was barraged into. For a girl who I thought of as petite, Renesmee managed to wind me.  I liked to think it was because I was weak from injury.