Keeping the Secret

I realized shortly after it was me. The three Cullens began to walk down to me as soon as I was spotted, and I saw that is was Esme leading the group, with Alice closely beside her. A beautiful blond one—the unmistakable Rosalie—waited by the car with an unfathomable look in her eyes, but I didn’t pay too much attention to her, for Esme was right in front of me now.

“Hello Thomas.” She said quietly, as if a little embarrassed. “I know we’re probably the last people you want to see but we have to talk to you.”

I was concerned as to why she said ‘have to talk to you’ instead of ‘want to talk to you.’ As to how I felt about seeing them here. My feelings were mixed—I was now fully aware that they were blood drinking vampires, but with the kind looks they had in their golden eyes (ignoring Rosalie that is) my body told me that they meant no harm.

“...I guess. But did you have to do it here?” I asked, looking around the sidewalk we were all standing on, which had only a bunch of greenery on the opposite side, but apart from that was completely empty.

“I told you it’d be inappropriate to do this now.” Esme whispered to Alice.

Instead of answering, Alice gave me a smile. “I know this may not be the best place for this talk, but this is urgent. We were wondering if you told anyone....as to what we were.”

It took me a moment before I nodded. “As in vampires?” I clarified.

Without words, they nodded.

“Don’t worry. I didn’t tell anyone. As if they’d believe me.” I muttered as an afterthought.

They both looked visibly relieved at my words, as could be seen by their long exhales. “Thank you.” Esme said.

Then they both made as if to walk away—actually reaching to their car—when they exchanged a few words with Rosalie, and she stormed over to me.

“Listen here, human.” She began, getting all up in my grill. “You were right to not tell anyone about us. And if you do tell anyone about us, I. Will. Drain. You. Dry.” She said the words separately, taking a step closer to me with each syllable. “Understand?”

Instead of portraying the fear and fluster an answer would only so provide, I gave her a look that said ‘Understood’

She nodded and straightened up, walking back to the car.

“Where’s Renesmee?” I suddenly called out after. That was unexpected, but I guess the topic was first and foremost on my list of things to enquire about.

Rosalie stopped and turned around. “Renesmee’s gone away for a while.” She said slowly. And then she delivered the words that hurt the most. “And it’d do you good to stay away from her. Got it?”

I could only nod as I watched her walk away and climb into the car. Alice got in after her, but Esme didn’t, instead, giving me a sad frown.

“Thomas?”

I looked at her. “Yes Esme.”

“I know that things are really very bad between us, and that this may not be a good time to ask, but I was wondering as to if you would like to come back to work?”

I gaped. “Work? Are you sure that’s a good idea?”

She nodded. “Please, don’t let this derail you from my garden. It really has prospered from your touch, and it’d be helping me ever so much. What do you say?”

I stayed quiet for a few beats, the rain pouring down onto me and soaking through my clothes. “I’ll think about it.” I said.

“Thank you.” And then she got into the car and they drove away.