26

FT : Reading FC Women 1-2 Man City Women (J. Potter 5' ; K. Mewis 19', D. Maroszan 89')

The plane landed in Seattle at 4 pm.

The airport erupts in cheers when they see Carli, Crystal and I show up among the English national team players. It's the first time I can see my face on signs and stuff, so I grow pretty emotional. But the first person I see is my sister, who has a bright smile on her idiotic face when she runs toward me. I jump into her arms, greeting her big time. 

A few afterwards, as I am signing some of the signs, I can see from the corner of my eyes Sam greeting my Man City teammates, and she and Steph met a few months ago. When she finally greets Lucy, I can see she's not very comfortable, but gets over it real fast. 

Time to say 'goodbye' to my teammates now, since we are in different hotels and only are playing each other in the final game in Orlando. But before that, we have to rock Seattle and Portland. 

"See you soon, roomie" Jade says, hugging me quickly, before pulling away and smirking. "You better make me visit the cities, just sayin'."

"Sure"

I greet my captain, SH, as well as KB and all the girls really. Amel already joined the French team, while the rest of the England girls are getting in their bus. When I find myself face to face with Lucy, I crack a smile.

The past few days - after the kiss on the balcony - we haven't talked a lot to each other : probably fear, but also the knowing that we wouldn't be that comfortable. Right now, she has her arms crossed against her chest.

I nod.

"Good luck in that tournament" I say, trying to keep my spirits high.

She smiles. 

"You too, Kristie."

With that said, she quickly hugs me, before kissing my jaw - I won't even start describing the emotions I'm feeling at the moment - and walking away, towards her team bus. Knowing that my cheeks have turned pink, I look down and join Carli and Crystal, who already took place in that taxi US Soccer sent us.

They don't say anything on what they just witnessed, probably because they feel like it's none of their business. 

It takes us one hour to reach the hotel near the famous Seattle Needle. Our first game against Germany will take place in the Reign's stadium, which has a pretty good capacity. I heard that it's sold out, which is a pretty cool news. I sigh, looking at the view before getting off the car. My sister is right by my side, helping me with my luggage. The rest of the team is having their last training of the day, but Sam was cleared because of a knee problem. 

The stress starts growing in me : it's my first time back with the National Team for years. Nobody would've bet on me on that one, in the way that they thought I was finished. But hard work does pay off. 

"You're going to do just fine, Kratch" Sam says, reading my mind.

I nod.

"At least I have you, Stephy and Sonnett here."

My sister wraps an arm around my shoulders, before we both go and eat something, waiting for the others to come.

*

_______________________

SBC 2018 Roster

Goalkeepers : Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride), Jane Campbell (Portland Thorns)

Defenders : Abby Dahlkemper (NC Courage), Casey Short (Chicago Red Stars), Abby Smith (FC Kansas City), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), Kelley O'Hara (Sky Blue FC), Emily Sonnett (Portland Thorns)