27

GAME DAY 

USA v GER

"FOR CLUB AND NOW FOR COUNTRY : KRISTIE MEWIS THE SUBSTITUTE PUTS A WONDERFUL CURLER IN THE BACK OF THE NET IN THE LAST SECONDS OF THE GAME ! THE USA WIN TO GERMANY"

The crowd erupts, as I just fall on my knees, exhausted by the intense 20 minutes I've just played : we were trailing 1-0 when Maro scored in the 64' minute, and then I assisted the equalizer by Syd, and scored in the 90 + 4' minute with an assist from my own sister. 

How good is that ?

When the final whistle blows, I immediately jumps into Syd's arms, holding her very close, as Sam and Steph - who also subbed in during the game - jump on top of us. My smile is so big right now : my first goal for a very long time for my country... Actually I only scored one for the senior team but I have to admit that this one is even better. 

Carli, after hugging me, smiles.

"Congrats" she lets out, before kissing the top of my head, a bit smirk on her face. "I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you, but I couldn't have done it without such a great supporter like you are." I say.

We don't have the chance to continue our conversation, because everybody around us is dancing and celebrating the win. 

I know England and France drew a little earlier on, as we were getting ready for our own game. I don't know who's the goal scorer for each team yet, but I am determined to find out. Of course somewhere in my head I am praying that it's one of my Man City teammates. 

As we're making our way back to the locker rooms, Syd wraps an arm around my shoulders again. 

"I am so, so proud of you Kris" she says, teary eyes. I roll my own eyes, but she speaks before I can : "And don't tell me like 'oh stop you're just saying that so I would be nice to you when we get back to the hotel' because we both know it's not true !"

I smile.

"True."

"Oh" Syd lets out, looking a little bit further than I am. "Here are your teammates."

I lift my eyes, before catching eyes with Jade and Bass, who are walking toward us. After politely greeting them, Syd winks at me and walks away. 

My roommate looks very happy to see me - so happy that she jumps into my arms. 

"Congratulations roomie ! You killed it out there !" she shouts, overexcited.

That makes me smile big time. 

"Thank you ! I saw you guys' result... Who scored ?"

"Izzy did" Bass says, quickly hugging me as well. "Damn girl you're killing it out there. Just... don't do that against us next week okay ?" 

"I'll see... Would you bring me my coffee every day before training if I don't score against you guys ?"

That makes both of them laugh. 

"You're so confident you're going to play against us ? I mean, maybe your coach won't even let you play" Bass insists, raising her eyebrow. 

Of course I know Bass and her mind games : she knows how to manipulate people from very innocent words. That makes me shake my head.