43

The next day, in the locker room, everybody is talking about the news. 

When I sit down in my usual place, right in between Izzy and Lieke, I start paying attention to what they say : and right now, Carli is debating with Jill :

"It's not that the level is better in the NWSL" the former Dash players says, confident in herself, as always. "If you think about it, who are the top teams of the FA WSL ? You've got us, Birmingham, Chelsea and Arsenal. Arsenal is gone next year as well, so what's left ? Three top teams, and then other teams that we are basically sure to be beating ?" 

"How come the level in the NWSL be more competitive then ?" Jill asks, raising her eyebrows.

"Because the systems are different, especially regarding the federation and allocated players" Carli continues, drawing the attention of the other players here in the locker rooms. "For instance, if you take a look at the USWNT players, we are dispatched among the ten teams : every team has at least one allocated player. And as far as the internationals players are concerned, there only are few restrictions."

"Mhm" Jill lets out, thoughtful. 

I decide to come into the conversation as well : 

"Carli's right there : the good thing about the NWSL is that each team can win each game, you never know before the game actually ends. That's something you only find in the US, because of that players moves : elsewhere, players chose what team they want to play for, therefore it's not even in between the teams in terms of national teams players"

Everybody nod to what I say. 

"You know what ?" Jill asks, suddenly excited. "I'm in."

That makes me smile, as Carli gives her a high five, smirking. I see some of the girls being hesitant : I know that, for instance, our baby keeper Zinsberger will not stay on the team because she got offers from clubs in France. Same goes to Laura Feiersinger, who looks pretty hesitant. 

For me, the only thing that matters is what Lucy does. Because, to be honest, I'm going to stay in this team and go back to the US. She, on the other hand, still has this Lyon contract somewhere in her mind. 

SH gets up, looking at us with a fierce look. 

"We're all in this together" she starts, as a true captain would speak. "If any of you want to walk away, I'd understand : change is scary, especially when it includes travelling to the other side of the world. But for those of you who want to stay on board, I can guarantee it's going to be a hell of a journey." 

She takes a little break, looking at us. 

After a few seconds, she continues :

"Manuela will leave us, unfortunately, because of he studies : she can't afford going pro right away and go that far away from her studies. Therefore, she told me to thank y'all for what you did to her. Now, each one of you is going to say out loud to the rest of the team if you're staying or leaving."

My turn comes first, as I say : 

"I'm staying." I say, flashing a look at Lucy.

"Staying" Izzy says, smirking. 

"Staying" Lieke says, determined. 

"Staying, obviously" Kelsey lets out in her chill voice. 

"Staying, fellas" Maro jokes.

There is a collective laugh, before the turn of people continues : 

"Staying" Jade says.

"Leaving" Carli settles. Before anyone can say anything, she adds : "Joking girls, oh gosh, keep up ! I'm staying."