12

Lucy wasn't at training this morning, so right before picking up Sam and Steph in the airport, I asked Kelsey to drop me by the defender's apartment. The goalie doesn't even ask questions or try to make me change my mind.

So here I am, at her door, knocking pretty hard on it, my heart beating like never before in my chest. I need to know she's okay. Without really knowing why, it stresses me out : why am I so caring about her ?

But when she opens the door, all my doubts vanish.

Her eyes are bright red, which indicated me she cried all morning. The dark circles under her eyes are the testimony of the agony night she just spent. Things with her dad are not doing that great apparently. Seeing her in that state really kind of hurts, while she just wipes her tears away, not really happy to see me here.

Or maybe that I am seeing her like that, this weak. 

"Uhm, Kristie... I didn't expect you to-" she starts, frowning.

"Sorry, sorry" I let out, looking at her. God, don't cry. All I want to do is just comfort her, but all I manage to say is : "Sorry."

Lucy frowns. 

"You said that already." 

"I-I know, I'm-" I start, but close my eyes. "I mean, I heard about your dad, and since you didn't come this morning, I was worried and... Yeah, I just wanted to make sure you were okay you know."

This time, she doesn't answer.

All she does is burst into tears, burying her face in her shaking hands. My first thought is to drop my bag on the ground, before taking a step closer. I hesitate for a moment, but realizing that she is not going to hold her tears back this time, I pull her into a hug, one hand in her hair on the back of her head, and the other on the hollow of her back. 

She starts sobbing, and my heart beats faster.

The sensation of her body touching mine, even with clothes on, is enough to make me lose my mind. I suddenly black out, shaken up by that warm feeling coming from my heart and invading my spine and chest. 

After a few seconds, I cough, before slowly caressing her hair. She calms down a little bit, not releasing her grip when she says : 

"He's dying... and there's nothing I can do about it."

I close my eyes : she doesn't deserve that.

I hold her closer, tighter, ignoring what I am feeling right now : my priority is not me, but her, and right now she needs her friend and teammate by her side, while she processes the news : this time, her father will die. 

I set my jaw, before softly whispering :

"I'm sorry, Lucy." 

She shakes her head. 

"I'm sorry too... God, for fucks sake-"

"Ssh, I'm here now. Let it all out."

Maybe it's just an impression, but by the way she is reacting to my sentence, it seems like she has been holding everything back for quite some time now, maybe weeks, months, or even years.

After about five full minutes, Lucy pulls away, wiping the tears away with her hands. She is too shook to even talk, so I only say : 

"I'm going to go now, and let you process, okay ?" She nods, as I add : "Hang on in here, you're strong enough."

She nods, and I exit the apartment. 

*

Steph grumpily gets in the back of the car, while Sam quickly hugs me. I look at Steph, before exchanging a look with my sister. 

"What's up with Hoodrat ?"

"Some dude on the plane just pissed her off because he was breathing too heavily" Sam says, rolling her eyes.

That makes me laugh. 

"What a diva."

"What I've been saying for the past ten years." 

We drive straight at the apartment, where a lot of noise comes from our floor. I roll my eyes, thinking : oh no.

When Sam opens the door, she is surprised to see three girls jumping on her, before the rest of the team cheers loudly. Tragedy by the Bee Gees is playing loudly, and everybody has their party outfits on. They grab my sister's arm - I soon figure they actually is Jade and Leah - dragging her in the inside. Almost the whole team is there, dancing. 

Steph, who is not that impressed, raises her eyebrow.

"What the fuck" she mutters under her breath.

But I don't have the time listening to her.

Lucy appears on my field of view, a shy smile on. Just the sight of her gives me goosebumps in the stomach, and I soon figure tonight will be hard : how am I supposed to hide my attraction from the two girls knowing me the best ? Steph frowns, seeing that I didn't pay attention to her, but thankfully, KB grabs her arm to drag her and Kelsey inside as well. 

I shake my head, staring at Jade.

"What is going on here ?" 

My roommate smirks.

"Since you seem to have been through a lot lately, we wanted to cheer you on by organizing a party for you and your sister and bestie" 

"That's so thoughtful" Sam comments, smiling at her 'BFF', as Jade likes to call herself. 

I crack a smile. 

"Guys, you didn't have to..."

"Shut up Mewie" Izzy orders, shaking her head. "We kicked all the neighbors out so that we could party all night, so don't be a party pooper."

"Does the captain know we're partying on Sunday...?" I ask, worried.

No wonder Steph Houghton would be very happy about that. Speaking of which, she's not the only one missing from the party : Demi, Carli, Nikita, Kosse, Georgia and Bassett are not here, probably preferring to sleep before this complicated week. 

Leah smirks. 

"Of course not, she'd have burnt us alive" the young player comments, before bursting into laughter when she sees my face. 

"Won't we get in trouble or-"

"Oh shut up, Kratch" Steph lets out, rolling her eyes. She then gestures in front of me, before wrapping her arm around my shoulder and say : "Your teammates set up a party, and I'm telling you, we're partying."

I ignore her, looking at Jade. 

"How the hell did you kick all the neighbors out of the building ?"

I know there are four apartment in total inside the building : a family with a young kid, an old couple, a single man, and Jade and I.

The brunette smirks. 

"Well, the Jacksons departed for their holidays, the old people just went to visit someone, and I gently told Tom to go screw his girlfriend at her house so that we'd be in peace." she explains. 

Steph starts laughing. 

"I like your roommate" she comments, before grabbing a bottle of champagne. 

I roll my eyes again : thank God we don't have training tomorrow.