54

As soon as the whistle is blown, I shoot a long ball over everybody. Jade sprints toward it, getting her foot to it before everybody else. Her long-range effort pays off when the ball hits the back of the net. 

OH MY GOD.

I run toward my roommate, who is coming full-speed. She jumps into my arms, a little bit too hard because I lose my balance and we both fall on the ground. My smile has never been that big, as our teammates jump on top of us. 

"YES, KRATCH, YES !!!" Jade can't stop exclaiming. 

I hug her.

"YES YOURSELF, BITCH ! DAMN !"

SH, in her usual calm and down-to-earth character, claps her hand, reminding us that there still are 90+ minutes to play : and she's right, there's no denying that.

So we go back to our positions. 

1' - GOAL for Man City, #11 Jade Moore.

___________________________

The last minutes are the hardest. 

5-4 is the actual score, and PSG's attacks keep on coming our way. The team defense is at it's best, directed by both SH and Shelina. I see Lucy and Amel closing on players perfectly, as well as Kelsey making crucial saves. 

But in the thirty last seconds, Amel commits a foul in the box, and the penalty is whistled. 

NO.

There is a collective gasp among the crowd, but there's no denying there has been contact in the box. I catch eyes with Shelina, and she shakes her head : we're thirty seconds to a title, and PSG is going to keep their own hopes alive with a PK. I don't know if we will be able to hold on for thirty more minutes. 

I jog toward Kelsey, who is setting her jaw. I grab her face in between my hands, my eyes more determined than ever. 

"You stop this, do you hear me ?"

She nods. 

I go back to my position, as Marie-Laure Delie, one of their top players, advances to the spot. She puts the ball down, takes a few steps backwards, a deep breath and gathers her courage. The referee makes sure everybody is in the right position, before blowing her whistle. 

Delie shots it in the top right corner... But somehow Kelsey gets there first and punches the ball away. 

Realizing that there's nobody stepping on that ball, I gather all my energy and run as fast as I can. I beat the defender to it, and I'm off to the races. A 90+ minutes race. I see Izzy make the effort as well, but she's out of energy. I set my jaw, driven my the crowd getting excited, and when I am halfway through the field, I see the keeper desperately going back to her goal. So I shot the ball as hard as I can.

At least they won't be able to score again, no matter what.

But the ball takes a weird turn, and is lifted over the goalkeeper, who falls on the ground. The ball hardly makes it in the back of the net, and the crowd erupts in cheers. Being too tired to even celebrate, I let myself fall on my back, looking at the sky, that is full of stars. My breath is heavy. 

Izzy gets to me first, and jumps on top of me. 

"KRISTIE YOU'RE NOT HUMAN" she yells, as our other teammates all jump on top of me too. 

My emotions are very high. 

The referee ends PSG's pain by whistling the end of the game earlier than planned, because those ten remaining seconds were for nothing. We won 6-4, the highest score on any finale in the women's game ever.

We created history.

In that crazy moment - as everybody is jumping on everybody, hugging, screaming and crying - I find Lucy. She is sitting on the field, on her own, her eyes closed. I jog toward her, before getting on my knees just in front of her.

She opens her eyes, and knows exactly what I am about to do. She doesn't stop me : we're ready for this. 

As soon as I crash my lips against hers, my hands on her jaw, caressing it softly, I know the world is going to change for me and her. But, for fucks sake, I don't give a fuck ! Lucy kisses back, smiling in the kiss. 

This is the beginning of a new area.

*

After receiving our medals, it's time for a celebration. 

And I have to admit, drunk Shelina is something I will never forget seeing : the Canadian is dancing like a mad woman, dragging everybody with her, Lucy included. As far as I am concerned, I prefer watching them - especially my girlfriend, of course - do their things and make fun of them internally. 

I look down at my medal, shaking my head in disbelief.

"Unbelievable, uhn ?" a voice asks behind me.

I turn my head, only to see Nick Cushing, the head coach, smiling. He comes and stands next to me, a glass of alcohol in hands.

Suddenly feeling like I have to explain myself for that public kiss, I say :

"Look, about earlier, I'm sor-"

"Don't" Nick cuts me, his hand on my shoulder. "You have nothing to apologize for : you and Lucy love each other, that's all that matters. Just know that I, and the entire Man City organization, are behind you. No matter what."

Quite moved and surprised, I nod. 

"Thank you."

"No, thank you, Kristie. A hat-trick in a Champions League finale is something people will talk about for a long time." he says, smirking. "Now, go and celebrate with them while you can, because in a few months, it's back to business."

"Yes, sir."

He smirks, before going to another player.

1' - Jade Moore.

8' - PSG goal.

46' - Kristie Mewis.

49' - Shelina Zadorsky.

50' - PSG goal.

53' - PSG goal.

61' - Kristie Mewis.

67' - PSG goal.

87' - Carli Lloyd.

90+4' - Kristie Mewis

FT : Manchester City 6-4 PSG 

I smile, before getting dragged into a crazy dance-off in the middle of the locker room. 

This one will make me smile for the rest of my life.