Abstract Word VI (Getting Published!)

You look through your bathroom mirror expecting to see yourself smiling back, but instead, you don't. There's a girl that looks like you there, but you know it isn't you. It can't be you, can it? you were smiling when you woke up, but she wasn't copying you. Now you're frowning, but she isn't. She's crying.

She's crying so much that the mirror is filling up with her tears. Her makeup is smudged with mascara running down her cheeks, and her hair is a dull lifeless halo around her head. the eyes she stares at you with are dead and void of any happiness; all of the life has been drained out of them. Who is this girl? She isn't you, yet she's your reflection staring back at you, right? Maybe she is, maybe she isn't, but she's there staring at you; you just don't know why.

You take a step back, but she reaches out with a wet hand towards you. You think the glass will stop her hand from coming, but it doesn't. Instead you watch frozen as her fingers start to move far away from her, and your feet are stuck in their place willing you to stay there.

"Join me," she whimpered out with her hands almost touching you.

"I don't want to join you," you protest to deaf ears. You are joining her, and she doesn't care about what you are saying.

Her soft dripping hands clasp your shoulders roughly as she pulls you towards her. You're afraid when her forehead comes out and touches yours. And you weren't prepared for what she was giving you.

The pain swallows you up and feeds on every part of your body. Everything hurts, but your heart hurts the most. Tears are spilling out of your eyes as the pain spreads and the crushing weight of loss brings you to your knees. So much pain, so much loss, so much suffering. You feel it all.

"Isn't this lovely," the girl asked you. 'No it's not at all,' you wanted to scream at her. You were unable as a wrenching sob crawled its way up your throat and escaped. You want to run away and hide from this, but you can't. You're stuck in the girl's clutches as you succumb to the pain. The girl giggles as she unleashes all of her pain on you until it is over.

You look back up and find your reflection smiling at you while you're a mess of limbs on the ground. She waved at you before turning around and walking back to the depths of wherever she came from. If you could follow her, you would, but all you wanted to do was curl up in a ball on the ground and cry until the pain was gone.

* * *