Locked I

We played a game of Monopoly replaced with writing things a few weeks back. For the railroads, we had a specific topic we had to do. For one of them, it was every room in the world is locked and you are where the picture is. We had to pick a picture out of a jar, and we had some extras, so I took some. This is the one I got during game play, and if I want to, I'll do others which is why this is titled Locked I. I hope you enjoy it.

* * *

The sea of people surged forward towards the elevators at the end of the hall. It was that time of the day: 5 p.m. Eight hour work days were over, and everyone wanted to go home to their families, partners, friends, pets, or empty apartments.

As the elevators constantly worked going up and down carrying a seamlessly ending amount of people to the exit, there were still stragglers. One is particular was a young girl of the age of 21. She was working as an intern in the big cooperate building trying to get enough money to build her life up from scratch. The poor little girl lost everything and everyone. Her parents died in a house fire that couldn't be prevented or stopped in time. Her husband of three months died in a car crash caused by a drunk driver. Her only sibling, her older brother, died in a car crash having been the drunk driver. Her poodle died of old age. Now all of that happened in the span of one week causing her to become quite stressed. Because of this stress, she had a miscarriage. After all of this happened, she became diagnosed with clinical depression and has been spiraling down ever since. She thought this would be her fresh start.

Gathering her last notebook, she ran out of her office space shared with the other three interns down the hall to the elevators. Once she got there, she noticed that she was the absolute last person in the building. She clicked the down button and entered the elevator pushing the ground floor button. As soon as the elevator started on its last journey of the day downwards, it lurched to a stop throwing her against the back wall hitting her head on the rails knocking her out cold.

* * *

When she came to, she grabbed her phone to look at the time: 7:17. Just 13 minutes before everyone she cared about died: 7:30. She checked the news sites to find that every door across the world was locked and wouldn't be fixed until midnight. Leaning against the cool metal wall, she let a sigh escape her lips. And then the tears started falling.

Being alone in the elevator made her feel truly alone.

And then she remembered something. She had a bottle of her prescription anti-depressants in her purse. Taking them all would have her up there in no time at all - she just got it refilled that morning.

If she wanted to she really could join her family and be happy.

Her phone showed the time changing to 7:20. It's now or never.

'Here I come,' she thought to herself.

7:30.

* * *