Countdown

I got this prompt off of Pintrest.

Write a story that involves a countdown.  Start the story at 10 and end the story at 0.

* * *

10.

She was brought into the world in the middle of a blizzard in a hospital that held refugees from the storm.  She was two months premature and made no sound when she was born.  They thought that maybe her vocal cords didn't fully develop.

9.

Her tenth birthday had just passed once again as a small celebration between her parents and her three friends.  It had been discovered when she was a baby that she was mute and could make no sounds no matter what they did to help her.

8.

It was only when she was in her late teens that it was discovered tat there was something wrong with her Broca's Aphasia, part of the left frontal lobe that is language dominant.  There was nothing the doctor's could do for that.

7.

The girl was now in her twenty-fifth year of life.  It was time for a new chapter, a new beginning in her life.  She was getting married to someone who understood she couldn't speak but still loved her none the less.

6.

Year thirty-seven and she was finally bringing a new life into the world.  Only instead of one child, they got two lovely baby boys one gurgling in delight and the other making no sound like his mother.  One like her and one like him.

5.

She was now forty-two and dealing with tragic loss.  Her husband of seventeen years died in a car accident after being hit by a drunk driver.  Now it was just her and their two children.  They had to move on.

4.

During year fifty-six of her life more tragic news hit.  Her eldest son who could speak had been killed only a few months after joining the army at age nineteen.  It was just her and her mute son left now.

3.

The woman was now sixty and sitting on a pew in a church.  Her twenty-three year old son was getting married to the girl of his dreams.  She shed a few tears of happiness knowing her son managed to find love after suffering through tragic times.

2.

Age sixty-three brought her a granddaughter but also a heart attack.  Luckily for her she managed to live through it even though she was now weak.  She had to live for her new family.

1.

Now at seventy she was feeling so weak.  She had gotten so sick that her son had taken her to the hospital.  Leukemia they said.  She now had to try and fight a cancer she knew she couldn't win.

0.

And so now her story ends as her son, daughter-in-law, two granddaughters, and two grandsons watched her be buried in the ground.  She was seventy-two.

* * *