Thirty Six - "Cheesy Hex Tex Chips."

-Erin-

I knew this would happen. And it needed to.

Luke sat in front of me, his legs spread apart with his elbows resting on his knees his hands clutched.

Ashton sat a little to the left of me, he slouched on the sofa looking too comfortable.

Nobody spoke, Ashton was looking constantly at his phone and not up at either of us. Luke was frequently glancing at the floor then at me as if expecting me to start talking first when they were the ones who asked me to meet them here.

"So?" I asked even though I knew what they were going to talk about. I probably looked nervous to them, I was sitting up tight and my hands were fidgeting. Were they going to make me decide right now?

"Erin." Luke said kindly trying to smile as he spoke. "We are going to have to put you in that position...again."

"Luke and I both want to be with you but obviously we can't both, so we need you to decide who you want to be with." Ashton said bluntly. I looked over at him but he was already looking back at his phone. Luke shifted uncomfortably.

"We will give you time." Luke said trying to soften what they were saying. "And neither of us will mind whatever you chose."

That's a lie.

"You won't lose either of us a friend we just feel as if this has gone on for too long. And we would like to end it now." Luke continued. I nodded.

"I know. I knew that it needed to be done." Luke smiled as I spoke. Ashton didn't move.

But you don't know who you are going to pick.

Ashton, who is always there for you, he's sweet and sensitive. He makes you laugh, and his laugh is just...contagious.

But then there's Luke. Luke who no matter what he does makes you feel like you are the only girl in the world, he's protective and treats you like a princess.

"Thanks Erin. I didn't want to put pressure on you." Luke said sweetly.

"No it's okay."

Luke held one of my hands and Ashton sat up only now starting to pay attention.

"We don't care who you chose." He said again.

"Hey hey." Ashton said pulling my hand away from Luke's. "No persuading her, Erin go, please. Don't let him try and persuade you." He shot Luke a look.

I stood up. "I wasn't trying to persua-"

"Shut up Luke." Ashton muttered as I walked out of the room.

--

I think I've gone down the worst route to try and chose somebody. Scrolling through old photos that I had taken of the three of us together.
When we were just friends. We had all gone to the local lake on a hot day and taking turns swinging on a rope into the water. I remember I didn't want to get in at first because it was too cold. Luke and Ashton were already in the water and Luke offered me his hand. Stupidly I took it and he tried to pull me into the water. I tried to plant my feet into the ground but I hadn't noticed Ashton get out of the water and sneak up behind me. Within seconds I had been both pulled and pushed into the water.

I had been unconsciously smiling as I remembered this. That was the life I wanted. Not one where, no matter what they say, I will have one uncomfortable friendship with whoever I do not choose.

"Erin...what are you doing?" I looked up and Ashton was standing over me. I had been sitting in the hallway my legs tucked under my chin.

"Just looking through some old photos, do you remember this?" I asked him showing the photo of the three of us our faces touching each other's. Luke's eyes had closed and Ashton's tongue was sticking out. He smiled when he saw it.