Twenty Two - "The isn't the end"

-Erin-

I told Josie to head back to the hotel once Ashton had sent me where he was. He said he was in some coffee shop and he would meet me outside. I typed the address into my phone and got a quick route that told me it would take four minutes to get there so I started to walk slowly. It was so dark outside and I really had no idea where I was but I had to go and speak to Ashton, I hope that his message was just some sort of hoax to get me to come to him.

Who am I kidding?

To be honest I didn't want to go at all. Sure Ashton and I weren't actually dating properly but I didn't want whatever we had to end. I don't know what I would do without Ashton. He's the only person I actually tell everything to. I felt a few drops of water on my head and pulled the back of my coat up as I had no hood.

I guess it should probably be Luke who I told everything to but I don't know why for the past few years it has been Ashton. Maybe it has always been Ashton for me.

The coffee shop was cute and sat snug in the corner of the road. The inside looked glowing and warm and I so I went in to get out of the rain even though Ashton made it clear for me to wait outside.

"One small hazelnut latte to go please" I said pulling five pounds out of my pocket. I glanced nervously around the room. It looked like a retro cafe with little cubicles with high sofa chairs. In the corner opposite to where I was standing I saw a girl with bright blonde hair. I recognised her but I couldn't tell what from.

The girl started laughing showing off her perfectly straight, perfectly white back teeth. Who is she? Why do I think I know her?

I heard somebody else laughing and I knew who it was immediately. Ashton.

Then it clicked.

That blonde girl. I knew her because that was the girl Ashton was with in that photo Luke showed me.

He met up with her.

That means he remembers what he was doing that night. That means he remembers about Luke and me. And everything else we did.

He's going to break up with me so he can see this girl.

This flawless girl who I have nothing on.

I don't want him to leave me. I can't let him, I'll be alone. I want him, I need him.

I have to get out of here before he sees me.

"Erin!"

Too late.

"Oh hi Ashton. Sorry it was raining outside and so I hope you don't mind I came in" I said quickly looking at my hands. The lady at the counter handed me my drink but I didn't want it. The thought of anything made me want to be sick.

"That's fine" He smiled. "Come over here I want to introduce you to someone" I nodded slowly and walked over to him. "This is Julia" He said opening his hand to the girl sitting opposite him.

"Hi" She smiled. "You're Erin" She said her Scottish accent thick. "I've heard so much about you"

"Really?" I said quietly. "I haven't heard anything about you...at all" Ashton looked at me, Julia's smile faded.

What are you doing Erin?

"Oh, well that's okay" Her smile came back, her eyes twinkling. "This way I can tell you all myself" She giggled and I forced a laugh.

"So um how do you know Ashton?" I asked pretending to act innocent.

"We met last night at this club, can't remember it's name and I don't remember much at all but we exchanged numbers and he texted me this evening to come out and meet me for drinks. It was lucky I was free. Did you know he's touring with one direction?" She said sounding amazed.

"Um yeah, I've been travelling with them..." I said looking at Ashton. "That's the only reason I'm in Scotland, is because I'm with him and his band"

"Like a groupie" She said bluntly moving her head to one side.

"Um.." I bit my lip. "I guess" I glanced at Ashton who didn't seem bothered by this. "So you haven't known each other long then?" I said trying to steer the topic away from me.

"Nope but we know a lot about each other already" Ashton said.

"Okay cool" I said pretending that I didn't care when I cared so much. I need to get out of here. "So Ashton you said you wanted to talk to me, can you tell me now because Luke was going to take me out for dinner" That's a lie. Ashton's face dropped suddenly.

"Oh..yeah" He said quietly glancing at Julia. "Um excuse us for a moment" He said to her and she nodded watching me carefully.

I sighed and got up. Ashton did the same and I followed him to the bathrooms.

"W-What times your dinner?" Ashton asked glancing at the time on his phone.

"In about half an hour" I lied again.

"O-okay" He stuttered. "Well I wanted to tell you that..that I don't think we should 'pretend' to date anymore" He said suddenly gaining confidence.

"Is it because of me?" I said. "Because I don't want to lose you Ashton" I said with all honesty.

"No it's not you. But we decided to do this just so you could end up with Luke and I think we have just about accomplished that. The only thing standing in your way now is me. And things got complicated and I don't want to be the one to change and mess up everything"

"You didn't mess anything up"

"But I confused you right?" He said.

"Yes. But I wouldn't have changed anything. I loved spending every second I did with you"

"But you also love every second you spend with Luke"

"It's complicated"

"That's what I said"

"Please Ashton just hold out a little longer" I pleaded. "I'm not ready to not be with you"

"Why? I'm making your decision easier for you Erin. Pick Luke, that's what you were going to do anyway" He mumbled.

"Ashton" I said wispily.

"No"

"This isn't the end"

"It is Erin" I started to cry. Stop being such a baby.

"Please" I sobbed.

"Erin stop" He said harshly not looking at me.

"This doesn't mean our friendship ends? We can still stay friends right?" I asked.

"I don't think so" He muttered and walked out of the bathroom before I got the chance to say anything else.

---

"Shh" Calum stroked my hair. "It's okay" He said quietly.

"Hmm" I said trying not to think. At least I wasn't crying anymore but I didn't want to speak, at all, ever again. Okay so that's an exaggeration but I felt so exhausted.

I lay my head on his shoulder as we sat on the floor our backs against the wall.

"The show tomorrow night will cheer you up. You've had a really busy day" He said calmly.

"This morning Ashton and I left together to go to the beach, we had so much fun. And then it escalated so quickly and now he's found another girl and we are not even friends anymore" I sniffed.

"It's not fair" Calum said. "But he will forgive you. Just give him time, and I know he's not over you and this girl he is with is just a distraction"

"I don't want him to be hung up on me, that makes me feel worse"

"He'll be fine"

"Do you want to know something?" I asked looking up at Calum.

"What?"

"I feel like I want Ashton now more than I want Luke"

Calum sighed. "Erin but yo-"

"I know"

"You should probably go to sleep now it's really late and you've had a busy day" Calum said helping me get up.

"What time is it?" I asked getting into bed still fully dressed.

"Almost twenty past one" Calum said fighting back a yawn.

"But Ashton's not back yet?"

"He's fine, don't worry about him Erin I'll make sure he's okay"

"You're so great Calum. You're so neutral, you don't take sides yet you are here for both Ashton and I"

"That's because neither of you are wrong" He said tucking me in the blanket.

"Don't tell him what I said. Or Luke, don't tell anybody, please"

"I won't"

"You will make a girl very happy one day Calum" I said closing my eyes. "And she will be so lucky"

"Maybe" He muttered kissing my forehead. "I hope so"

**ive just realised that this 'day' has gone on for three chapters! Well it's officially over now, I got a bit confused as to what day it was whilst I was writing :p.
thank you so so much for all you're comments and to all of you that vote. I've also had some lovely messages.

For those who asked I try and update every few days but it's really random, I try not to let it go over a week but sometimes I get really busy. Sorry.

Anyway thanks again for reading and I hope you like it. Can't believe it's so close to Christmas!!!!
Anabellefreedom xxxx**