Chapter 35: Breaking

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Monita,” a voice said and the crunch of boots grew closer.

“Sorry sir, but I’m going to have to ask you to stay away for the moment,” the policeman said and held his arm forcefully.

“I know him,” I say looking up briefly into those eyes who held love. He never played you, never would.

That’s what you thought about Nathan, no one could love you any more than him remember. The voice impetrated my mind again.

“Are you family?” The policeman said, still not moving.

“Like a brother,” I whisper and shake my head. I lifted my head to the first fingers of golden light, “I want to see the crime scene,” I say to the policeman. He was still eyeing up the tall man, the tan never left his body, though the sun of Sailing had long disappeared. His fists were still clenched.

“I can’t do that I’m sorry, come, I’ll take you back to your apartment,” the policeman said.

“I live with Nath,” I reply as he held me up. He paused,

“How about a hotel room then, come on,” he said sweetly and smiled at me.

“No, where’s Jay?” I say and lift my head, remembering how he watched me walk away. I’m a horrible being, I think biting my bottom lip and feeling my eyes begging for tears, but they had long run dry. My nose was runny and cold, my fingers stiff and frozen, but my shoulders had his scent. He gave me his jacket.

“Jay?” the policeman asked and frowned, his hand still on the small of my back.

“He’s still at the bench,” Griffin replied not leaving my eyes. I looked away to the ground,

“I’m fine now officer,” I say and force a bleak smile at him, “I just need to talk to my friend,” I continue and he nodded, but didn’t move to far away from me. I was the first to break the contact and passed Griffin who loomed over my every movement like a shadow, he took a shaky breath and spoke,

“Monita…”

“No Griffin!” I say turning around and glared at him through my red eyes. I must have been a sight to behold.

“I…”

“You stop it right there!” I continue glaring at him, “If you wouldn’t have… Just leave me alone, leave me ALONE!” I say and refused myself from pushing his chest, I wasn’t going to give him that pleasure. I turned around and stormed over to where Jay was still sitting on the cold bench by himself, looking glumly out at the trees. My heart skipped a beat and I bit down on my bottom lip to hold everything in. A lump formed in my throat.

He looked over to me as I sat down gently.

“I was going to say something weird like I’m the man who can’t be moved, but I realised that you loved Nathan and tha…”

“The police said he murdered Carly,” I say taking a shaken breath in and his mouth dropped open.

“What… wait, who?” he said quietly, when I looked over to him and opened my mouth to speak he shook his head, “No not Nathan, Nathan couldn’t do that. Not to Carly anyway,” Jay continued taking a deep breath. He forgot about everything and pulled me into a tight hug, pushing his lips to the top of my head.

“I don’t know what to do,” I whisper and shake my head, “I’ve never been so confused,” I say feeling a tear fall on his shoulder.

“Come on Monny,” Jay soothed, “Nathan will be fine, he wouldn’t have killed her. Anyone would know that by looking at him.”