Chapter 6: Helpless

______--___-<> Nathan’s POV <>-___-____--___

We laughed and joked around with everyone in the rock pool for maybe a few hours until someone broke the question.

“So how exactly are we going to get back up?” Max asked looking up the cliff face that surrounded the pool and river more or less the whole way around.

“Monny will just climb up,” Percy said picking her up and swinging her onto his left shoulder.

“Let me go Percy!” she squealed as he flung her around like a rag doll, with some care at least. He laughed and threw her into the middle of the pool and Carly laughed. It slowly faded when she didn’t come up and the bubbles stopped.

“Ah?” Jay said frowning, he sounded nervous.

“Monny!” Ava shouted into the water. She clearly wasn’t the smartest, Like she’ll hear that! I think, but had the urge to do the same. Suddenly I found myself panicking like the air was been taken from my lungs.

Percy waded out into the deeper part of the pool and dived down in search of her. About a minute had passed. I turned to look at Griffin who was sitting on a rock looking at the trees distantly. I felt a real bad feeling in my gut like a knot had formed. I saw bubbles and Percy erupted from the water and sucked in a deep breath of air.

“She’s not down there!” he said sounding panicked.

“It’s been a minute and a half!” Ava said looking at her watch fretting.

“Her best is eight minutes free diving,” Griffin said calmly. “If anything she’s looking for caves,” he continued. As if to prove his point seconds later she appeared like a mermaid smoothly from the water taking a gentle breath of fresh air and grinning.

“Griffin have you seen it down there!” she said sounding excited, it slowly faded when she saw the looks from everyone else. “What?”

“We seriously thought something was wrong!” Percy said loudly sounding angry. She pulled back,

“I’m sorry,” she said and looked over to me before her eyes moved to Jay. I envied him for the long look she gave him, but I knew I had something he didn’t, a promised kiss.

“Maybe its best we leave now,” Griffin said standing and taking the rope. Monita waded to the rocks and jumped up.

“I’ll do it,” she replied taking the rope from him. He looked at her for a long moment before nodding.

“You know I really don’t know why she doesn’t date Griffin,” I heard Carly whisper to Ava.

“I know right, I mean if I didn’t want to do this band guy I’d be totally first for doing him,” Ava replied in my prior vision I saw her look over to me.

“Be careful Monita,” Griffin said as she slung the rope over her shoulders. She smiled and him before giving him a light punch on the shoulder and turned to the wall to climb.

“Monny gets her nick name monkey because she’s a real monkey when it comes to climbing and ropes,” Ava said coming to stand next to me in the water. I ripped my eyes of Monita’s graceful movements to look at the dark olive skinned girl with long straight black hair. She smiled and put a hand on my shoulder.

“Well she’s very good at it,” I say looking over to where she was now halfway, were as I would have been below quarter of the way if I was lucky.

“You know what I’m good at?” Ava whispered into my ear moving closer. I’d rather not find out, luckily Monita reaching the top stole my attention. Ava seemed angry I’d brushed it off so quickly.

“WHOOP! WHOOP!” She shouted from the top of the waterfall and came to stand near the edge.

“Tie the rope around a tree trunk and drop it down!” James shouted still swimming around.

Suddenly everything happened. It was all too quick. A hand went around her throat and mouth pulling her back savagely. She screamed and kicked out, dropping the rope in her attempts of thrashing.

“MONITA!” I shout out quickly going to climb up after her. Griffin had beaten me to it already halfway up the wall. I felt the panic arise in my gut again as I found myself helpless to save her.