Chapter 11: I'll be Your Personal Solider

I headed up the stairs and the first thing I saw was Monita clutching her knees and sobbing quietly at the bow of the ship with the darkness looming in the near distance. Maybe I should leave her be, I think unsure. She said today that she just wanted to be fine, that she didn’t want to tell me what was wrong so maybe I should just go downstairs and tell Griffin. He knew her better. But he sent you up. My mind fought back so I walked forward.

“Monita,” I say and she sobbed before clutching her chest tighter and pulled away. I sighed with my breaking heart before sitting down and wrapping my arms around her. She latched back and pressed her head into my shoulder and for a moment I was taken aback by her fierceness and despite this being for all the wrong reasons, I loved holding her close to me.

“I’m so sorry Nathan,” she said and I pulled her onto my lap before pushing her hair down.

“You don’t have anything to be sorry about Monita, you haven’t done anything,” I say and she started to cry harder. I bit my bottom lip and held her closer,

“But… But I have,” she said and shook her head and pressed it harder into my shoulder. “I’ve done everything wrong.”

“How could someone so lovely as you do everything wrong?” I say and got a bad response. Instead of laughing she just broke down more. “How about you tell me then?” I say and she took in a shaky breath and I wrapped my arms around her tightly. I felt her shudder slightly and then she started with just a whisper.

“My mamma died when I was three. The boat sank when Captain was busy lookin’ after mamma and I. Mamma made Captain take me ashore before he bothered with me and… and… and a shark bit her leg while Captain was swimming me to shore. When he managed to get a boat to go get her… but she was pale…” she looked down at her hands and gently slid them across my waist. “Mamma was so pale. Captain never let me live it down; he never said anything about it… but those looks. They make you feel like you don’t belong, but you know he doesn’t want you anywhere else,” she said and looked up to me. “It’s almost like he doesn’t want you, and no matter what you do, you’ll never live up to look like mamma, or be like the son he didn’t get… He wanted mamma and not me.”

I lifted my hand to her cheek and cupped it watching her eyes widen slightly, but not stray from mine. I slowly pushed my thumb across her face and felt the warm tears follow my thumb across her face.

“You did nothing wrong Monny. You’re perfect,” I say and she blushed before ducking her head.

“He doesn’t want me to go anywhere Nathan, but I want to see places, I want to be able to explore and live MY life… I told him that I could love who I wanted and go where I wanted and…. And he doesn’t want to see me again…” she said and her hand ran down my jacket before she tugged it and took in a shaky breath.

“Then come with me,” I say forgetting about all the implications, but it didn’t matter. Right now, here and now with her and having her close to me was like a drug. Sure there’d always been other girls, but for some reason Monita stood out from the crowd in her beauty. Her quiet view on the world and how everything could be written within her mind. I loved how she felt in my arms, like she was carved to fit.

She looked up as shocked as me and shook her head as if she didn’t hear right. “Come with me Monita when we go back to London. I want you to come with me, I want to take you to see those places,” I say seeing tears falling down her face again. I smiled and lifted my hand to push them away but she pulled away still looking stunned. “Isn’t that what you wanted?” I say and she stammered before looking away.

“I can’t Nathan… that’s the thing. I wish I could be one of those girls who doesn’t care, or who could stand up for themselves… but I can’t leave,” she said sniffing and wiping her nose on her loose long sleeve shirt. “Please don’t say those things,” she said not looking at me and stood before walking away.

“Then I’ll stand up for you,” I say hearing her pause. It was only for a moment, but that was all that took me to know I could win her, I could fight for her. I was going to be her personal soldier.

++_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+++

Hello!!!

This is a real short one, sorry :?

Anyways, hope you are still enjoying the story. I've got it all planned out, more or less... I just have to write faster. But if you comment and vote I write faster. So the formula goes like this....

(This is going to be my Maths Homework)

Vote + Comment = Fast Updates!!! x More Inspiration

Love you all!!!

Madi