Chapter 34: Blood in The Ice

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He was fumbling around in his jean pocket just as my phone ringed. I growled, not even caring to see who was calling and hung up. He ignored it and went to go down on his knee when it rang again. I motioned down to it and bit my bottom lip,

“Maybe I should…?”

“Yeah, no of cause,” he said smiling. Mine was yet to fade along with the racing heartbeat.

“Hello,” I say happily down the phone, not looking at the number.

“Monita Carlos?” an unfamiliar woman’s voice said. She sounded stern and shadowed.

“Yeah, I’m Monita,” I say and looked over to Nathan before swaying slightly, side to side.

“It’s the police, is Nathan Sykes with you at the moment,” she said.

“Yeah, why. What happened? What’s wrong?” I ask quickly and frown, twisting away from my vision of him.

“He’s wanted on the suspicion of Murder to Carly Thompson,” she said, not pausing but it slowed down to those words and I shook my head, feeling my hand shake and the phone almost drop out of my grasp. “He’s dangerous, possibly drugged or under the influence. We’re going to have to get you to stay calm and stay where you are. Don’t tell him what I’m telling you,” she continued. I swallowed.

“Why? Why do you think that… that he did it?” I continued bracing against a tree, pushing my forehead to the tree.

“I don’t think telling you over the phone is…”

“Tell me!” I almost shout, “Please,” I whisper. I could hear voices in the background and she pulled away for a moment. The tree bark was rough and I felt the static from it, vexing my energy away from my body and swallowing my strength.

“From the evidence we’ve received it looks like he was having an affair with her,” she said and my world dropped again, smashing against the concrete and into a thousand billion pieces, too small and too sharp to place back together. “It’s possible that this has been going on for weeks,” she continued, pausing, “I’m sorry.”

“Monita,” Nathan said, but I didn’t move.

“Where are you?”

“The Park by the old church,” I say quickly.

“We’ll be there in three minutes, just stay calm and stay on the line,” she said. I shook my head and hung up, my hand shaking as it reached up and touched the rough bark. A taste other than that of words, cold and cruel.

“Monita what is it? What happened,” Nath said and pulled me into his arms. My face pressed close to his shoulder and I smelt the lingering smell of a cigarette. Nathan doesn’t smoke… Carly does though.

“We have to leave Nathan,” I say and look up into his eyes, shaking my head and bitting down my tears and fears.

“What why?” he asked suddenly.

“We’ve got three minutes to get as far away from here as possible,” I say my hands shaking uncontrollably and tears blinding my eyes quicker than I could wipe the away. He took hold of my face with his hands and pushed away a tear, in its hundredth, away from my check.

“Why? Take a breath Monny, I love you and I wouldn’t hur…”

“Hurt me?” I ask and frown, my bottom lip trembling. He stiffened,

“Who was on the phone?” he asked coldly.

“Carly’s dead and they say you did it! We have to go Nath, I LOVE YOU! I’m not going to have them lock you away for something stupid like you killing her…” I couldn’t handle it anymore and fell to my knees. The cold frost not even making any connection to my nerves as my body shook. “You slept with her,” I whisper as he wrapped his arms around me tightly.

“I love you Monita,” he said into my hair, “I’m never leaving you,” he continued and he sniffed. His tear fell on my cheek. The sirens came closer, their screams breaking our silence and their flashes fighting a dark that seemed so alien in the first place. The red and blue breaking shadows through the tall trees, standing as an audience. His strong body held me a last time before the police came to take him away, ripping him away from me as I sat there watching through blind eyes of tears.

“I love you Monita,” he said to me one last time as they cuffed him and pushed him into a cop car, driving off and leaving me with some stranger speaking false words of comfort. The taste of her cigarette at my nose. He was cheating. He was lying. He had you from day three… But I love him so much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

I’m horrible, I had you all thinking this would be a happy ever after and close the final page of the book, but no, I’m a bitch and I feel nearly as bad as Monita at the moment for breaking your happy tears and trading them in for sad tears.

 :( Sorry guys.

Still love you though!!!!!