Chapter 19- Dried White DriftWood

The Island had a series of small bays, tucked away from the sight of man and the large expanse of blue water. Dried white driftwood lay amongst the small beautiful shells that crunched under our bare feet as we wondered down the beach with a bag. I had shellfish in mine, a few of the local Krayfish and the fish that I could catch with the spear Griffin had managed to salvage off the sunken ship. Jay would just have to do with seafood like the rest of us.

“You know how long we’re going to be here?” Nath asked at my side making me turn my head around to look at him. He was squinting off into the distance of the white rocky cliffs, a flock of seagulls cried out around the white and edge of feverish green canopy collapsing close to the water.

“Until either someone comes and saves us, or when Captain gets restless and hikes us out,” I say bending down and picking up another piece of driftwood. We had enough stuff to be somewhat comfortable for a few days, maybe even two weeks, but I wasn’t sure how long survival mood would stay.

“So we’re shipwrecked… for real?” he commented and his eyes flashed over to mine. I laughed,

“Yeah,” I say and flicked the piece of wood around.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better person to be stranded with,” he said smiling at me and leaned down to kiss me. I could feel his smile through the kiss and I wrapped my arms around his neck as his hands trailed down my back. I felt giddy in my stomach when I realised I was kissing Nathan James Sykes, the man of my dreams who filled, as he liked to sing it, my Heart Vacancy.

“What about Bear Grills?” I say when I pulled away and started to walk again. He kept his arm over my shoulder and laughed,

“I can’t kiss Bear Grills!” he exclaimed.

“I’m sure you could, if he swung that way,” I joke and put a swing in my step, smiling broadly as he ruffled up my hair. “Hey!” I exclaim and push him. He pushed me back and I dropped the bags and wood before picking up a piece of sea wood and threw it at him, hitting him square in the face. He gasped in shock and his eyes looked up to mine were a flicker of mischief erupted into a flame. I giggled and jumped back and stumbled over a piece of driftwood. He laughed and ran after me, reaching me as my feet danced on the water. He picked me up through my squeals and we both collapsed into the clear water. I somehow got my leg around his shoulder and he stood up, holding onto my legs so I was half lifted upside down from the water.

“Nath!” I exclaimed and he tried to walk forward, but stumbled and fell on me again. I opened my eyes under the water and ignored the sting from the salt, just because him watching me under the water as well made my heart race. He smiled and opened his mouth to shout something, but nothing but bubbles came out of his mouth and I swam forward to kiss his lips. The urge low in my stomach too much to handle. He put his hands to the sides of my face and ran his fingers gently through my hair. I wrapped my legs around his waist feeling my heart racing with the knowledge that he loved me as much as I loved him. He rose out of the water while we were still kissing passionately. I pulled away and took a shaky breath in, caught in the gaze of his misty green eyes like fog on the ocean morning. “I love you,” I say breathlessly. A lopsided grin came onto his face and his eyes lit up. His hand came out of the water and traced along my jaw and then to cup my cheek.

“I love you too Monita Carlos,” he said saying my full name. My heart skipped a beat and I wished we could stay like this forever.