chapter two | moving across the pond

I seriously hate my life right now.

Mary gripped her seat tightly as the plane was landing. She couldn't believe this was actually happening. Today was the day she left her old life behind and started a new one, which she was totally against. Mary only found out after she finished her fifth year at Ilvermorny that she was moving and that was two months ago. Not only that, but she also found out that her family were Death Eaters. They didn't give her enough time to take in the news. Instead, they wanted to get out of America as fast as they could. Now, they were in England, which was their new home.

It wasn't just because Mary was going to become a Death Eater that they left America. Mary and the rest of her family first heard of the rumors that Lord Voldemort returned when Mary finished her fourth year. Around that time, Cedric Diggory, a Hogwarts student, was killed during the Triwizard Tournament. Mary's parents were unsure if he was back or not, so they stayed in America. But a year later, once it was official that Lord Voldemort had returned, Mary's parents managed to find the Malfoy family after seeing their name in the papers. So now, they were meeting them face-to-face after writing back and forth for the last two months.

She looked out the window and groaned at the cloudy skies and the rain that was about to fall. The gloomy weather made Mary even more depressed. Once the plane was finally on the ground, Mary followed her parents and her brother off. They went to go get their trunks, then to Customs. Everything in their trunks were nothing but No-Maj things, so there was nothing to hide. All of their magical things were hidden in a special bag Mary's father had. Once they were done, the four finally headed out of the airport, where they got a rental car and gave the driver the address to go to.

"No-Maj transportation. How unpleasant," Suzanne, Mary's mother, muttered under her breath.

Mary rolled her eyes. Honestly, it's not that bad, she thought.

Once they arrived in town, the Fowler family got out of the car and grabbed their things. Her parents led Mary and Tobias, her older brother, into the town of London.

"Exciting, isn't it?" Tobias asked Mary.

"Oh, yeah, I'm bursting with joy," she retorted in a sarcastic tone.

"Don't have that attitude when we meet the Malfoy family," he warned her. "They're very loyal to the Dark Lord and we need to make a good impression. Besides, they have a son your age."

"And? Do you expect me to marry him or something? Don't tell me there's some kind of arranged marriage for us," she inquired.

"No, but you're going to need someone to show you around Hogwarts," he pointed out. "He's very popular in Slytherin House, you know, so you shouldn't have a hard time making any friends."

"What if I don't get Sorted into Slytherin?"

"You will. I know you will."

Mary shook her head. Tobias and Mary were nothing alike. They had different beliefs, which was why her parents favored him more. He was the trophy her parents liked to show off whenever they could.

Walter, Mary's father, led everyone to a dark alley, taking out a small bag and placing everyone's trunks inside of it. "Undetectable Extension Charm really comes in handy," he told the others.

"I'm sure every witch and wizard in the world knows that already," Mary responded.

Her father ignored her comment and had everyone place their hands in the middle. With no warning, the Fowler family Apparated with a crack!

Mary had never Apparated before, so she almost lost her footing when they arrived at Malfoy Manor. She looked at the gloomy estate, following the rest of her family to the gates. Everyone took turns getting their trunks out of the small bag Walter had in his pocket. Mary looked up at the manor with a bit of curiosity. A woman and a boy were walking towards them, opening the gates.