chapter five | the warm welcome

The train came to a stop, signaling everyone that they were finally at Hogwarts. Mary stood up from her seat and grabbed her bag. She followed Blaise and Pansy to the door and turned around to see Draco still in his seat. "You coming?" she asked him.

He shook his head. "You guys go on without me. I want to check something," he replied.

The three obliged and did as they were told, walking down to the nearest exit. They got off the train and headed for the carriages.

"Do you think Draco's acting kind of weird?" Pansy asked the other two. "I mean, he doesn't seem like himself. Did you hear the way he was talking about this year?"

Blaise shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know what it is with him anymore. It seems like he's got something else on his mind. What do you think, Mary?"

Mary almost jumped when she heard her name. She cleared her throat. "Um, I don't know. Maybe he's just stressed out. Sixth year is a big year, isn't it? This is the year we basically start focusing on what kind of career we want after we graduate."

Blaise nodded his head. "That is true."

When the discussion about Draco was dropped and another subject was brought up, Mary was relieved. She was given orders to not say anything about what her and Draco were up to this year. They had a top secret mission to complete, and no one was supposed to know about it but them. She knew it was going to be hard for the two of them to sneak around without anyone getting suspicious. When people would begin to wonder what was going on, rumors would get started, and once they got going, they wouldn't stop spreading.

The three got on a carriage, which freaked Mary out when she saw that nothing was pulling it. Nevertheless, she didn't comment about it. Instead, she stayed silent and tried her best to enjoy the ride while Blaise and Pansy continued one with their conversation. Mary found it awkward to be around the two of them without Draco. After all, she hardly knew anything about them. She wasn't sure if she was able to trust them, despite the fact that they were Draco's best friends.

The ride seemed like it was going to be forever. But just when Mary was about to fall asleep, the bright castle was now in sight. She stared up at the school in awe. Ilvermorny also had a nice view and she had heard about Hogwarts being just as beautiful, but she always thought that everyone exaggerated a bit. Now, she realized that there was no exaggeration about the scenery of this place.

But the inside was even more amazing. The walls were covered by numerous paintings and the corridors gave Mary a historical feel to the school. She began to think that Hogwarts might not be too bad.

"Miss Fowler," a voice came from behind her. Mary turned around and saw an older-looking woman standing there. "Are you ready to be Sorted into your House?" She nodded her head. "Follow me, then."

"Good luck," Blaise said to Mary, smirking as he walked away with Pansy on his side.

And so Mary followed the older lady until they reached the statue of a gargoyle.

*******

"No, Jake, I'm not going to do your Transfiguration homework this year," Eliza said, jumping off the train and onto the cement, landing on her feet.

"But I'm awful at the subject!" he whined, getting off the train. "I'm telling you, Liza, McGonagall has it out for me. She hates my guts."

"Probably because you always sleep in her class," Violet said.

Jacob groaned. "It's so boring. How can you stay awake in that class?"

"It's not totally boring," Oliver stated.