chapter six | potions class

Mary woke up the next morning, feeling a little bit anxious. She sat up from her bed and stretched her arms out. When Mary looked over at Pansy's bed, it was already made, signaling that Pansy was awake and getting ready for the first day of classes. While Pansy was ready to start the day, Mary was ready for the day to be over.

She got out of bed and made it nice and neat, as if she hadn't been sleeping in it at all. Next, she went to the bathroom, brushing her teeth and hair. Finally, she went back into the dorm and changed into her uniform and looked at herself in the mirror, shaking her head.

"Dreadful, aren't they?" Pansy said, making Mary jump.

She turned around and saw Pansy wearing the same uniform. "They could be worse," Mary replied.

Pansy scoffed. "They're already hideous. What were your uniforms like back at Ilvermorny?"

"Well, they were robes with the colors blue and cranberry," Mary explained, turning around to look at the mirror again. "They are fastened by a gold Gordian Knot. It's the brooch that Isolt Sayre, one of the founders of Ilvermorny, discovered in the ruins of the original Ilvermorny cottage. Her husband, James Steward, helped her design the uniforms."

"Why blue and cranberry?" Pansy questioned, sounding a little disgusted.

"Isolt wanted to be in Ravenclaw House if she had ever attended Hogwarts," Mary replied. "James picked the color cranberry because of his love for cranberry pie."

"They told you this stuff back at Ilvermorny?" Pansy retorted.

Mary, who was now getting annoyed, turned back around and nodded her head. "Yes, Pansy, they told us this stuff back at Ilvermorny."

Once the girls were ready, they gathered their school things and headed downstairs. Draco, Blaise, Theodore, and other boys were waiting for them in the Slytherin Common Room.

"About time you two showed up," Blaise said. "We're hungry."

"You could've gone down to the Great Hall without us," Pansy pointed out.

"Well, I was trying to be a gentleman," he replied. "I know the ladies like a gentleman."

Pansy let out a scoff, raising her eyebrows. "You're hardly a gentleman, Blaise."

Mary cleared her throat and looked at Draco. "So, Draco, do you want to introduce me to your other friends?"

"I was getting there, but Blaise and Pansy were having their own little conversation," Draco retorted, rolling his eyes at Blaise and Pansy. "These are my other friends, Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle. Just call them Crabbe and Goyle. That's what they prefer." Draco looked at his two friends. "Guys, this is Mary Fowler."

Mary gave the two boys an awkward smile, not sure if she could rely on them for any help. Both boys were slightly chubby and stood beside each other as if they were the toughest wizards here.

Draco must've felt sorry for them when he met them for the first time, Mary thought.

Everyone walked down to the Great Hall together. Crabbe and Goyle dashed down the corridor while the others stayed behind and went at their own pace.

"Just so you know, Crabbe and Goyle aren't really..." Draco trailed off, trying to find the right words.

"The brightest wizards at Hogwarts?" Mary replied.

"Yeah, that," Draco said. "But they follow me all the time because they have no one else, really. It's kind of sad."

"It must be annoying as well, having them around you all the time," Mary said.