chapter eight | the shortest duel

"You're an idiot, Andy."

"Shut up, Jake."

"Like, this is insane."

"No, it's not."

"I can't believe you're doing this."

"Will you stop?" Andrew snapped, shooting Jacob an annoyed look.

"Mate, we don't think this is a good idea," Oliver stepped in.

Andrew let out a scoff. "There's no bloody way I'm backing out now. If she wants to duel, then that's what we're going to do."

"Actually, you're the one that proposed the idea," Violet pointed out.

"Uh, no, she brought it up. Twice."

Violet rolled her eyes. "Whatever. Either way, you're still an idiot for doing this."

Andrew rolled his eyes in irritation. "Look, if none of you want to come, then don't. I'll be totally fine with that."

"Oh, no, we're still coming," Eliza stated. "Right, guys?"

"Yeah," Jacob added. "If she kicks your arse, then I'd like to be there to see it."

Andrew, fed up with everyone, stopped in his tracks and turned around, facing his friends. "I'm not going to get my arse kicked by that stupid American. I can duel better than her, I know I can. Now, I need to go prepare for this duel. If you still want to come, then be at the Quidditch pitch at eleven." With that, Andrew motioned Eliza to go with him and the two walked away from the others.

Violet shook her head in disbelief. "He is mental."

Oliver shrugged his shoulders. "Well, we can't convince him to back out now."

Jacob chuckled. "I still think she's going to kick his arse."

*******

Frustrated, angry, determined.

That was what Mary was as soon as she stormed away from the others. She couldn't believe that she had gotten herself into this. A duel. It was honestly the last thing she wanted to do, especially right now.

Why are English people so aggravating? Mary thought. Well, except for that one Scottish person. Too bad his friends are rude, though.

Mary made it back quickly to the Slytherin Dungeon, muttering the password and entering the common room. She angrily plopped down on the couch, crossing her arms and starting into the fire.

"You okay there?" Blaise asked, raising his eyebrows from the armchair he was sitting in.

Mary jumped, sighing in relief once she saw him sitting there. "Blaise. I didn't even see you there."

"Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you," he said. "But seriously, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she lied.

"You don't seem fine."

"Well, I am."

Blaise, huffing a sigh, got out of his chair and took a seat beside Mary. "It was those gits I told you about, wasn't it?"

She rolled her eyes at him. "What do you think?"

"I told you so."

"I don't even want to hear it."

"Too late," he teased. "So, you're going to just mope around here and not do anything about it?"

She scoffed. "Of course not. I have a duel with one of them tonight."