chapter thirty | a new addition

"Well, we sure have a group here, don't we?" one Snatcher that Mary knew by the name as Scabior spoke up, standing front and center. "Two Mudbloods, a Scamander, and a traitor. How interesting..."

"Yes, quite a crew," another Snatcher added.

"If only we could stay and chat, but we're in a bit of a rush," Jacob said, pulling his two friends close to him.

"Why in a hurry? We can all get to know each other while we're on our way to the Ministry," Scabior stated.

"That's not happening," Mary retorted.

He snickered in response. "Oh, I think it will, and I'm sure your parents will be pleased to see you after running away from Malfoy Manor last night."

Oliver shot her a confused look. "You did what?"

"Alright, enough chit chat," Scabior cut in. "Snatch 'em!"

"Like I said, not gonna happen," Mary snapped, grabbing her wand from her pocket. "Stupefy!"

Scabior fell backwards, followed by the other Snatchers charging forward.

"Inside the house now!" Jacob shouted, leading the others through the door, slamming it behind him and locking it, hearing the pounding and shoutings of the Snatchers from the other side of the door.

"Please tell me you still don't have the Trace on you," Eliza said to Mary.

"Yes, I do. I turn seventeen next week."

Eliza groaned. "This is bad. Now the Ministry can track you, therefore, track all of us! Not to mention that Muggles can see us!"

"Sorry, I was too busy trying to get us away from them!" she yelled. "I wasn't thinking!"

"Yeah, really," Eliza huffed.

"We need to get out of here!" Jacob yelled.

"Right, there's a back door. We can escape that way," she said.

Jacob nodded. "Great. Liza, you and I will stay behind and hold them off for as long as we can." He looked towards his other friend. "Ollie, seeing as you still have the Trace on you as well, you and her sneak out the back and we'll catch up."

"Are you sure?" Oliver asked.

"Yes, just go!" Eliza replied, pushing him towards the back door. "There's no time to waste!"

So Oliver obliged and motioned Mary to follow suit. He dashed to the back of the house, opening the door that led to the backyard. Heading for the fence, he remembered the lock was jammed due to the rust that coated over it. His next idea was more of a hassle, but their choices were limited.

"We're gonna have to climb the fence," he commented. "Come on."

Oliver placed his hands at the top of the fence, making sure his grip was tight. He quickly climbed to the top, his feet slipping only once, jumping over and tumbling to the ground. Mary followed suit, swiftly hoisting herself up and jumping off, letting out a grunt once she landed on her two feet.

"Now where?" she asked.

"I know a place. Let's go."

Oliver took off, with Mary following behind him. They resisted the urge to turn around, knowing that they could no longer see inside Eliza's house. Getting back into focus, the two rushed across the street and on the sidewalk, where their pace slowed down enough to catch their breaths.

"Do you think they'll actually catch up with us?" Mary questioned.

He looked at her, panting. "Knowing them, yes. Let's get off the streets before any Snatchers catch up with us."