chapter eighteen | a heated train ride

"Wait, you saw them doing what?"

The Ravenclaw boy turned back at Andrew as they headed for the Hogwarts Express. "Did you not hear me the first time, Andy?"

"Yes, I did, but I want you to say it again," Andrew replied.

Oliver sighed, tugging at the handle of the one trunk he brought with him tighter and pulling his rucksack farther up his shoulder. "I saw Jacob and Violet kissing."

Andrew shook his head. "I can't believe neither of them said anything to us."

Oliver felt the same wave of shock when he first caught the two snogging in the corridor. His conversation with Violet should've been a hint that there was already something going on between them. Maybe he wasn't as observant as he thought he was. He was still attempting to figure out how Andrew felt about it, which made him nervous for Jacob and Violet.

"So did you say anything to them?" Andrew asked.

Oliver shook his head. "No. They saw me and I saw them and it was just awkward, so I left before they could stop me."

The Gryffindor snorted. "I think 'awkward' sums up your entire night, from what you told me happened at the party."

Oliver scoffed in response. "That word is what should be used to describe this train ride, because we know that's how it's going to be the whole way back to King's Cross."

The two continued on as they talked back and forth about their Christmas plans. While they hated the fact that they wouldn't be with Violet's family, along with Jacob and Eliza, at least the two would have each other, so that was a plus for them.

When they arrived at the station, the other three friends were waiting for them, standing by the train. Oliver and Andrew approached them, to which they received smiles from all three.

"Thanks for waiting for us," Andrew said. "Ollie and I have always been slow at packing."

"Yes, you have," Eliza replied. "Shall we get an empty compartment while we still have the chance?"

"Great idea," Jacob said very quickly, being the first to get his trunk settled in and then hopped on the train.

The others got their trunks in and then followed Jacob. It didn't take long for them to find a compartment. Just as they were all piling in, Oliver stopped when he spotted Hermione out of the corner of his eye. Her eyes then locked with his, beginning a stare off that lasted for what felt like forever. They never spoke a word, their eyes really saying everything. Hermione was the one to break the stare as she turned her back and went back the other way.

"You okay, Ollie?" Eliza asked him, sounding a bit concerned.

He looked at his friend and nodded, getting inside, sliding the door shut, and taking a seat between her and Andrew. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"I'm sorry about last night with Hermione," she said with an apologetic look on her face. "I know you were hoping it'd turn out better." She paused, sighing. "We all were, actually."

"Yeah, but the night was still interesting," Andrew stated, staring at Jacob and Violet across from him. "Right, you two?"

The couple looked at each other, then back at the trio. "We were going to tell you," Violet said.

"We just needed some time," Jacob Interjected. "Like, a lot of it."

Violet rolled her eyes at him. "No, not a lot. Just enough to figure out a way to tell you guys."

"How long has it been going on?" Eliza questioned.

"Since October," Violet answered.

"You mean to tell us that you two have been sneaking behind our backs for two months?" Andrew spoke up, sounding a bit upset.