chapter twenty-two | openings and closings

Things managed to calm down within the castle walls as the days went by. With the term almost halfway done, Oliver felt almost relieved. This year, with everything that was going on, it was stressful for him and his friends. Then again, there was always something new happening, thanks to Harry Potter.

Ever since him and Andrew had their heartfelt conversation, Oliver thought about Fiona more often than he usually did. During the day, he would plunge himself with more research about her death, trying to look for any more clues in what happened to her all those years ago. By night, he saw her in his dreams again, full of laughter and smiles, the memories that he wished he got to make with her.

Did he think this was healthy, an obsession that was beginning to form again, taking over other thoughts he had in his brain? Most likely, the answer was no. But did he need closure? Yes, he did, even if it took him his entire life to find out the truth.

Oliver was leaving the library one night, going over the notes in his head from his research, when he was approached by Hermione in the corridor.

"Hey," she greeted him.

He shot her an awkward smile. "Hey."

She didn't say anything for a moment, but then cleared her throat. "I suppose we should talk about Slughorn's Christmas party."

"Yes, I think we've put it off talking about it for too long," Oliver stated.

Hermione sighed, tucking some hair behind her ear. "Look, Oliver, you're a nice guy. In fact, you're one of the nicest guys I know. It's just that...well, I felt like I was just using you to get back at Ron, and that was wrong of me."

The boy felt his heart tug a little at Hermione's confession. Given the time that passed without the two speaking a word to each other after their kiss at the party, he expected something was off about the whole thing. Of course, he wasn't sure what to think that it was all because of Ron Weasley...

"It's okay, Hermione," was all he could get out of his mouth.

"I'm so sorry, Oliver," she replied, sounding sincere, while giving him an apologetic look. "Maybe there was something between us at one point..."

"Yeah, maybe." If only she had given me the chance, he thought. Or at least allowed us more time to get to know each other better. "But I guess things happen for a reason, right?"

Hermione couldn't help but chuckle, looking down at her shuffling feet. "I suppose that's true." She paused, then raised her head at Oliver's eyes. "I really am sorry."

"It's okay," he assured her. "I'm sorry, too."

The girl furrowed her brows in confusion. "For what?"

"For not mustering up the courage to ask you out sooner." Oliver let out a small chuckle. "But you'll be happy with Ron."

"You think so?"

He nodded. "Yeah, I do."

So Hermione leaned in for a hug, wrapping his arms around Oliver, which he returned the favor. "You'll find someone, too, Oliver."

As they held their embrace for a little bit longer, Oliver let her words sink into his brain. He sensed a hint of hope in her voice, really thinking that she could be right. If he knew anything, Hermione Granger was usually right about everything.

When the two pulled away, Hermione released another sigh. "Take care, Oliver, okay?"

"I will. Same goes for you."

With that, Hermione gave him one more comforting expression before heading off down the corridor. He didn't turn back to see her. Instead, he began to head back to the Ravenclaw Tower like before.