chapter forty-one | the departure

For the rest of December, it was peaceful and quiet in the woods. The six of them were able to go on with their normal routine, taking turns with getting food as well as being on watch when needed. They were still anxious about being caught, which was why it was decided that they had to move and find someone from the Order before it was too late.

Then, not too long after the new year started, a new broadcast of Potterwatch delivered some shocking news: Draco Malfoy was missing.

Mary had just come back from hunting for food when Oliver told her what happened. She felt her heart sink down to her stomach, unable to eat anything she caught that afternoon. When the others finally convinced her to eat something, she obliged, but sat under a tree alone. Everyone, especially Oliver, tried to talk with her, but she wasn't in the mood for it. Nevertheless, Mary still let Oliver comfort her during the long nights, and neither of them said a word.

She wondered if Draco finally decided to leave like she did or if he was taken by the Order and they were keeping him either safe or as a hostage. Maybe wherever he was at was a lot better than Malfoy Manor.

As everyone kept an ear out for the next Potterwatch, Mary was offered to get food for the others, finding it a good way to keep her mind busy from any other terrible thoughts surrounding Draco's disappearance. But finally, after three days of no news, Mary came back from hunting for food when Oliver had an update.

"Another Potterwatch just ended," he told her. "Someone came forward with some information about Malfoy's whereabouts."

"Really?" she replied, her eyes getting wider. "Where is he?"

"He's not too far from Oxford," he answered. "I don't know why he would go there, though."

"It doesn't matter," she stated, heading for the tent in a fast manner.

"Where are you going?" he called out, rushing after her.

"To Oxford," she replied, gathering her things in her rucksack.

He let out a scoff. "So you can go after Malfoy?"

"He's my friend, so yes, that's exactly why I'm going there," she retorted.

"No, I can't let you go," he said firmly.

Mary spun around, raising her eyebrows at him. "Oh, yeah? Why is that?"

"You have no idea what you'll be walking into," Oliver said. "For all you know, it could be a trap."

"For all I know, Draco could be in trouble," she responded. "He might need help."

"He can handle himself, I'm sure," he retorted.

Mary felt her blood boil as she continued to pack. "So what, you just want me to not worry about him, then? You want me to forget that he might be in danger?"

"Listen, I know he's your friend, but--"

"No, Oliver, you don't get it," she cut him off, raising her voice. "You have no idea what kind of people we had to deal with over the last year or what they're capable of, and for Draco to handle those people by himself--"

"Both of you made a choice," he interjected. "You chose to stay and he chose to remain behind with his family. If he really wanted out, then he would've left when you did. Whatever Malfoy does now is his problem and not yours."

"It's not that simple!" she shouted. "I can't just leave him, Oliver. I just can't do that to him." While attempting to compose herself and finish packing, all she could think about was Draco, which motivated her to wrap it up faster so that she could leave and find him as soon as possible.