chapter sixteen | the library quarrel

Hogwarts buzzed around as the Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Slytherin was among them. The tension and pressure between both Houses was thick, with other students trying to avoid all of it until they were in the stands, watching the showdown.

Oliver came into the Great Hall that morning with a letter from his parents in hand. He just opened it before leaving for breakfast. He kept a blank expression on his face as he sat down with his friends at the Gryffindor table (though, he wasn't sure why it mattered, because everyone sat wherever on the weekends).

When he sat down, his friends immediately noticed something was off about him. "What's wrong, Ollie?" Violet asked.

He held up his letter. "What do you think?"

Andrew took his letter and showed it to him. "They said no like mine did, I'm assuming?"

Oliver nodded. "They want me to be home this year. No idea why. They didn't say."

"No hints something is going on?" Eliza questioned.

"Nothing," Oliver answered. He then began to wonder if something was going on, something his parents wouldn't say over a letter.

"Yeah, my parents want me to spend more time with them and my siblings," Andrew stated. "Sarah will be devastated."

Oliver and Andrew sulked together as Ron Weasley came dragging in the Great Hall, where he sat down not too far from them. He had on a helmet and his Quidditch uniform on, swallowing hard.

"He looks nervous for today," Violet whispered.

"So how was it, then?" Ron asked Harry and Hermione in an annoyed voice.

Hermione looked up from her newspaper to answer. "How was what?"

"Your dinner party, that's what," he retorted.

"Pretty boring, actually," the girl replied. "Though, I think Harry enjoyed dessert." She eyed Harry, who looked down at his food.

"Oh, yeah, Slughorn is having a Christmas party," Jacob spoke up, which he was so quiet Oliver forgot he was even there. "We're meant to bring someone." He turned and looked at Violet. "Would you like to go with me, Vi?"

Violet raised her eyebrows. "Yeah, I'd love to."

Oliver eyed his friends, thinking about his previous conversation with Violet about the two of them.

Ron scoffed, shaking his head. "I expect you'll be asking McLaggen, eh, Hermione? He's in the Slug Club, after all."

Hermione looked up at him, her expression turning upset. "Actually, I was going to ask you."

The ginger didn't respond to this. Oliver did his best to not engage or get involved in this battle.

Lavender Brown came behind Ron, looking cheerful as ever. Good luck today, Ron. I know you'll be brilliant." With that, she bounced away, with everyone watching her.

Ron's face grew worried. "I'm resigning. After today's match, McLaggen can have my spot."

"Have it your way, then," Harry said, shrugging his shoulders, handing him a cup with juice in it.

"Wow, very smooth, Harry," Eliza commented, nudging Andrew, winking his way.

Andrew caught Eliza's signal and joined in. "Yeah, don't act like we didn't see you."

"See what?" Hermione questioned, curious.

"The tonic or whatever he just put in his cup," Eliza stated.