chapter thirty-nine | moments that linger

"So what have you two been up to these last few months?"

Violet chuckled at Eliza's question, shaking her head. "A lot of running, that's what. After the Death Eaters invaded my house, we split up from my family and went looking for you guys. We headed for Dorset first, even stayed there for a little while, but we got attacked there as well."

"Yeah, we went there to see if you two were there," Jacob said, taking her hand. "The house was a mess. We also got your very vague note."

"That was my idea to leave one in the first place," Andrew spoke up. "But really, there are only so many places you could narrow down to, if you really think about it. I figured Hampstead was out of the question, so it was between London and Manchester."

Oliver scoffed in response. "That wasn't very clear in the note, Andy."

"Well, my bad," he retorted. "Anyway, after Dorset, we kind of just waited around in London, skipping around the city. We even ran into Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Apparently, Death Eaters also attacked Ron's brother's wedding the same day the Ministry of Magic was taken over by You-Know-Who." Andrew paused, letting out a shaky sigh. "I'm telling you, with more Snatchers rounding up all the Muggle-borns they can find, it's getting more dangerous."

"Just like your little stunt at the Ministry of Magic," Violet added. "Mind telling us what that was all about?"

Jacob and Mary glanced at each other before Jacob cleared his throat. "Well, to be fair, Mary and I didn't plan that incident, and your incident by the Thunderbolt Headquarters wasn't so discreet, either, seeing as Potterwatch reported about it."

Andrew rolled his eyes. "Yeah, well, we had to get your attention somehow, and it worked, because you're here. Speaking of the American, why is she here?"

"Because she's helped us," Jacob explained. "Many times, actually."

"Have you forgotten what she's done?" Andrew snapped, stopping in his tracks and spinning around to face Jacob. "She's the reason my family is dead, along with poisoning you and Ron Weasley!"

"I didn't have any involvement with the death of your family," Mary intervened. "That was my brother. If I knew he was going to do that--"

"You wouldn't have stopped him," Andrew interrupted, staring at her with hatred in his eyes.

"Yes, I would have," she replied, clenching her fists. "I'm not like my brother. Sure, I made some stupid choices while I was at Hogwarts, but I was given the chance to redeem myself, unlike Tobias."

Andrew let out a scoff. "Right, and I'm sure Malfoy's redeemed himself, too? What a load of bollocks."

Mary felt her blood boil. While she understood how hurt he was by her standing here, despite all that she had done, his comments still hit hard. It was nothing but anger, frustration, and guit. She wanted those feelings to vanish, to fade away and never come back.

All of a sudden, she felt a hand wrap around her wrist. She looked over to see Oliver standing there, giving her a soft glance as his thumb began to move in a circular motion on her skin. The more she stared at him, the more she felt her body relax, letting go of her fists. Every sign of whatever that was negative Mary experienced in the moment was replaced by something peaceful, which she hadn't felt in a while, it seemed.

But maybe things had always been like that whenever she was around Oliver, and she was just noticing it.

"She's risked a lot to get here, Andy," Oliver spoke up. "More than you even realize. We all get you're still pissed about what she did, but if you finally want some closure, then hear what she has to say."