chapter fourteen | feelings and distractions

As Oliver headed back to the Ravenclaw Tower, he thought about Mary and her calm persona. He didn't think she had what it took to be a Death Eater, just by how nice she was to him in the Owlery.

Was that all an act? Oliver thought. He shook his head at the thought. No. That had to be the real her.

She was stuck in his head on his walk back to the tower, wondering how Draco and his other Slytherin friends were treating her. Hopefully, she was able to hold her own when it came to them.

When he got to the Ravenclaw Tower, he answered a riddle, then entered inside. Not to his surprise, Violet was sitting on the couch, reading a book.

"You didn't have to wait up for me," he told Violet.

She looked up from her book, closing it. "I didn't, actually. I wanted to get some reading done before I turn in for the night."

"Oh. Okay, then," Oliver said, plopping down next to his friend. "So, how was your walk?"

Violet closed her book, sighing. "The same as every walk. Liza didn't stay long, so it was just Jake and I."

Oliver raised his eyebrows. "Just you two? Alone?"

She shot him a warning look. "Don't you dare make any assumptions, Oliver."

"I'm not!" he protested, grinning and putting his hands up in defense.

"You better not," Violet warned him. "Jake's a great friend, but that's all he is to me. I don't think he and I could ever...you know..."

"Date?"

"Yes. Date." She paused, fixing her hair. "Jake is reckless at times, you have to admit."

"Aren't we all reckless to an extent?" Oliver pointed out.

She thought about it, then nodded. "Yeah, I suppose we are."

Oliver remained silent for a moment, then spoke up again. "You know, if you and Jake decided to date, I'd be okay with it."

Violet scoffed. "Yeah, you and Liza would, but Andy? No way. He's very close with Jake and he'll think I'm getting in the way of their 'brotherly bond' or whatever, if he even calls it that..."

"But it's yours and Jake's happiness that matters," Oliver stated. "Don't worry about Andy. He'd come around."

She gave her friend a small smile. "Would you really accept us? I mean, wouldn't it be weird for you?"

Oliver shrugged his shoulders. "I mean, we've seen and been through weirder things here at Hogwarts."

Violet giggled. "That is true." She paused and then stood up. "Well, I'm glad we had this talk, even though it wasn't necessary to have it..."

"Goodnight, Vi," Oliver chuckled.

"Goodnight, Ollie." She headed for the stairs, then turned back around. "You know, you deserve to be happy with someone as well."

Oliver couldn't do much else but sigh. "Just give me some time. I'll find the right one."

"Are you sure you haven't already but won't ask her out because you're too scared?" she inquired, raising her eyebrows.

He rolled his eyes. "It's the whole thing with Hermione again, isn't it?"

"Goodnight, Ollie!" she repeated, quickly ascending the stairs.

He shook his head and felt his heart beating as Hermione Granger began to take over his thoughts.

*******