chapter thirty-four | apologies

"I must admit, I thought Violet would be with you, along with Andrew," Mrs. Hamilton told them as she took the lead to the safe house. "Do any of you know where they are?"

"No," Jacob answered. "Your house was vacant and just about destroyed when I went over there last week. What happened?"

"Death Eaters is exactly what happened," the older woman replied. "They came out of nowhere and invaded the entire house. Violet and Andrew were separated from us when it happened."

"So you have no idea where they went?" Eliza asked.

She shook her head. "No idea. We haven't heard from them, either, which worries the rest of us."

As they continued to tread through the streets, everyone became more cautious of their surroundings. Mrs. Hamilton took them farther away from the busy city, where it was getting more quiet.

"How did you know we were in the Leaky Cauldron," Jacob spoke up once again.

"By chance. I saw you four looked like you were about to get into some trouble with the wrong person, so I stepped in." She paused, turning her head a bit towards Mary. "I don't think I've ever seen you before. What's your name, sweetheart?"

"It's Mary," the girl answered. "I transferred to Hogwarts last year."

Mrs. Hamilton nodded her head. "You're American. The boy that was killed almost a month ago was American as well, from what I read in the Daily Prophet."

"Yes, he was my brother," Mary said, her breath getting a bit shaky.

The woman's face fell. "Oh, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how hard that must've been."

Mary nodded. "Thank you. It has been hard, but I'm getting through it."

So Mrs. Hamilton shifted her head back around and kept on walking. After a few more minutes, she stopped, signaling they arrived at the safe house. She took her wand out of her pocket and waved it, the buildings in front of them moving a part until one appeared in between them. With a small smile, she crossed the street with the others and went to the front door, letting them enter inside.

Just by setting foot in the foyer, everyone felt more at ease. On the right was a living room area, with a couch and a couple of chairs placed in a circle, along with a few bookshelves that were not completely filled up. Down the hall was the kitchen, where a light was already on, and right in front of them was a staircase, in which Mrs. Hamilton was the one to lead them up the steps.

"Jacob and Oliver, your room is this first door on the right," she explained, pointing to the door. "Eliza and Mary, your room is this one on the left." She motioned her fingers towards their door.

"Are Ruth and Annabel here as well?" Jacob asked.

"Yes, their room is down the hall, but they won't be bothering any of you." The woman sighed, then turned around. "Well, I'll let you all get settled in, then you can come back downstairs and we can discuss getting some food in your stomachs before more members from the Order show up. Some have been coming in and out, so I need to get more rooms prepared." With that, she headed back downstairs.

So the four split up and went into their respective rooms. Eliza didn't give Mary the chance to pick a bed by the way she threw her rucksack on the one closest to the door. Mary headed to the other bed and merely sat down, staring at the window in front of her.

Neither of them said a word to each other for a moment. But once Mary saw Eliza was finished with unpacking, she broke the silence. "Do you have any idea how long we'll be here?"