chapter twenty-one | overwhelmed with emotions

"I think we've had enough of this for today, don't you think?"

Draco sighed, turning away from the Vanishing Cabinet to give Mary an annoyed look. "In case you've forgotten, we're a bit behind schedule."

Mary rolled her eyes at the reminder that they spent the holidays with their families rather than stay behind and work on their mission. If they had spent Christmas at Hogwarts, then their parents surely would've said something about it. Either way, Draco and Mary wouldn't have won that battle.

"Can you blame me for wanting to spend some time with my parents and Tobias?" she retorted.

"I'm sure they would've understood your reason for staying here," he said, turning back at the cabinet.

She huffed a sigh and stood up, going beside him. He didn't turn her way again, which she knew would happen. "You know your parents love you, right?"

He pursed his lips, running his hands down the cabinet. "I suppose so."

Mary scoffed in response, shaking her head and throwing her hands in the air out of frustration. "You're unbelievable."

The blond boy spun around to face her once more. "You don't understand how they raised me, what they taught me to believe in. For years, I always thought everyone that wasn't from a pure-blood family was beneath me, that families like ours were the superior race in the Wizarding world. Then, I got older and I began to see and learn things that maybe I shouldn't have. But my parents, specifically my father, thought I was ready for it."

"Well, I can clearly see that you are about to break under pressure," Mary pointed out.

"And you're not?" he snapped. "Tell me, with everything coming together soon, how do you feel about becoming a Death Eater now?"

Mary slightly opened her mouth to respond, only no words came out. With the deadline coming up closer and closer with each day, the idea of her being a Death Eater remained in her head more often than before. She imagined every scenario as one of them, the good and the bad. Yet, she wasn't sure how anything good came out of it, but the thoughts were there.

"Well?" he spoke up, raising his eyebrows.

"It's a lot to take in, okay?" she admitted. "Is that what you want to hear? That I'm beginning to get scared with every outcome that could happen to us, to our families, and our friends?" She crossed her arms over her chest and began to pace in a circle. "It's all happening so fast now that we're getting closer to getting this cabinet fixed."

She heard nothing from Draco for a moment, then she felt his hand go on her shoulder in a gentle way, which caused her to turn around. "I know it seems like everything and everyone is changing around you, but we're about to start a war, one that's been in the works for years now."

Everyone is changing.

It was then that Mary remembered the way Tobias was acting around the holidays, keeping the secret their dad didn't want Mary knowing about. She wondered if Draco knew anything of it. If he did, then that would sure as hell be a slap in the face to her.

"Do you know of anything that was supposed to happen over the holidays?" she asked him.

Draco furrowed his brows in confusion. "What?"

"Were there any missions planned over the holidays? Anything the Death Eaters were ordered to do?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

She shot him a serious look. "You're lying."

"No, I'm not," he retorted.

"Draco, I need to be able to trust you, and right now you're making it difficult to do just that."