chapter fifty-two | escape from the turmoil

For a moment, the world stopped turning.

Frozen, everyone was nothing short of shocked and heartbroken that Harry Potter, the one who was supposed to save the Wizarding world from Lord Voldemort's reign, was no longer with them. The heroes lost the fight.

In a matter of seconds, Mary felt herself being tugged to the side and sucked into a tunnel of some sorts. When the spinning finally stopped and she stumbled on her feet, she realized that she was Apparating. Next to her was Oliver and Jacob, both of which were panting from the sudden trip.

"Where are we?" Oliver spoke up, looking around.

"It's a safe house set up by the Hamiltons," Jacob explained. "Vi told me about it, even though she wasn't really supposed to tell anyone." He scratched the back of his head. "Then again, if she hadn't said anything to me, we wouldn't have this place to go to right after..." When he trailed off, his eyes began to water. "Well, you know, with what just happened."

It didn't take long for the Hamilton family and some members of the Order to show up, all of them looking tired and defeated. They gathered inside a large dining room just down the hall, where everyone took places in chairs or where they stood. Once the room was almost filled up, the meeting in regards to the Battle of Hogwarts started.

"Now, we have a lot to discuss, so let's get into it, shall we?" Mr. Hamilton announced. "I think we all agree that Harry Potter's sacrifice will not be for nothing, which is why we need to go ahead and figure out where to go from here."

So for the rest of the day, it was nothing but talks of what was left of the Order and which safe houses were secure and which were compromised. By the information that was going back and forth among the adults, there was hardly anything the Order had control over.

Mary felt hopeless. Hopeless from losing the war. Hopeless that anything good would fall upon the Wizarding world anymore. Hopeless that all would be well again, along with peace being restored throughout the lives of everyone.

Anxiety began to kick in, her nerves going into overdrive as the overwhelming feeling started to take over her body. Mary immediately left the room, trying to compose herself as well as focusing on easing her mind and body once more. Flashbacks of the battle appeared in her mind, specifically Draco and his mother. Sadness loomed over her as she remembered the looks on Narcissa's face when she called his name and he wasn't there to join them. She wondered if anyone had told them that her only son was dead, or even if any of his friends knew that he was gone.

Blaise.

Mary knew the two were good friends, and despite the fallout she and her friends and boyfriend had with him, there was a part of her that felt guilty at the thought of him being left to search for Draco and possibly never knowing what happened to him.

Her thoughts swirled with nothing but Blaise and the Malfoys gnawing at her brain. She pondered the idea of telling them, questioning whether or not she should be the one to break the news. She took out her wand when she heard footsteps coming from behind her. She turned around to see Oliver standing there, his arms folded over his chest.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

Twirling her wand between her fingers, she shook her head. "No, not really. We took a hard loss."

He nodded his head in agreement. "Yeah, we did." His eyes fixated on her wand. "Were you planning to use that for something?"

Looking down at her wand, she sighed. "I just keep thinking about Draco. He didn't deserve what happened to him." She waited a moment before she carried on. "Sorry I keep bringing him up, but--"