chapter twenty-eight | switching sides

Blaise,

The last thing I want to do is write this letter, because believe me, it hurts my heart to actually sit down and say what needs to be said.

I want to start off by saying that I cherish the almost one year we spent together, as friends and as a couple. You showed me so much kindness when I arrived at Hogwarts and we created something special between us. The last few months have also been amazing. You made life in England more bearable, and I'm thankful for the time we've shared together.

However, you and I both know that I've been keeping secrets from you for a while now, ones that I couldn't tell you or anyone else. I'm sure you also know that Draco was involved, too, his secrets becoming my own. Of course, I still cannot say anything, which is why to keep everyone safe, including you, I have to end things between us.

I'm so sorry, I really am, and know that I will always care about you and I'm grateful every moment we shared together. This is for the best, Blaise, and I hope you understand.

Love,

Mary

For what felt like hours she read the letter over and over, wondering if her words were the rights ones. Ultimately, she knew the guilt would stay with her as she wrote everything down, her brain filled with thoughts and every scenario that this could go. His reaction to the breakup was one that she didn't want to imagine, but the image of seeing his face was already haunting her.

She watched as the Malfoy owl flew into the dark night, not taking long to disappear in the clouds. Her heart was aching, but she knew it had to be done, for everyone's sake, especially when a war was on its way.

There was a knock on the door and Mary turned to see it opening. A blond head poked in. "They sent me up here to get you ready for the meeting," Draco said.

Mary nodded her head. "Okay, thanks."

Instead of leaving, he entered her bedroom. "You sent the letter, didn't you? To Blaise, I mean."

Looking back out the window, she sighed. "Just now."

Draco walked over and stood beside her. "I know it was hard, but it had to be done. We're playing a bigger part in this war now and--"

"How, Draco?" she cut him off, shooting a look his way. "How did anything we do this past school year make a difference? Neither of us had the guts to kill Dumbledore."

"You know how it made a bloody difference? We're not dead, that's how," he retorted.

"No, but my brother is," she snapped.

There it was. Tobias came back to her thoughts.

Not even a full month had gone by since that night on the Astronomy Tower, the last time she saw him alive. Sure, Dumbledore's death was tragic, too, but she didn't kill him. Even with Tobias, she didn't do it on purpose. It was self-defense.

Aurors ruled his death as an accident, as no sign of the Killing Curse was present in his body. Thanks to Snape, Mary was able to avoid any interrogations, also being able to leave for America long enough to bury Tobias. If one good thing came out of that night, it was Snape and his loyalty to the Dark Lord and to the Malfoy and Fowler family. He saved them from a fate that Draco and Mary didn't want.

"I'm sorry you had to go through with that, Mary," he spoke up in a more calm manner. "I can't imagine how difficult that was for you."

Mary felt a lump in her throat, but she managed to swallow it. "It was difficult." She paused, nodding her head. "I know my parents wonder what happened, and I keep telling them it was an accident."