Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Finnick Pov.

I get ready for my interview this morning. They're going to play the hunger games and then interview me on them. I'm not ready to watch them. I just lived them the last three to four days and now I have to watch them the day after. The Capital is always so generous with never letting the show end for the audience. I walk up on stage when Caesar calls my name. I wave to the crowd as I walk towards the chair that's identical to Caesar's.

"Welcome back Finnick Odair! We are so glad to have you back." he says excitedly.

"I'm glad to be back Caesar." I say with a small smile.

He laughs that fake laugh that he uses with everyone he interviews.

"So Finnick how did you feel when you found out that you won?" Caesar asks.

"I felt excited, because I realized I would get to go home to Annie, that I wouldn't have to be separated from her any longer." I tell him.

"Well, the Capital and myself are going to want to hear more, but first we need to watch your hunger games." he says.

The huge TV goes on, every year, the games are turned into stories. For these games, the title is, "Driven by love" they play my interview, training scores, and the games. I look so mean, now I feel guilty. Now I feel like a killer. I can't watch this, I pretend to watch, but I'm really staring at the corner of the screen. I start thinking of what snow said. Why does the capital want me? What's so great about me anyway? Annie always complimented me on the things that snow said I have, but she's my girlfriend, of course she's going to compliment me. I compliment her. What are they going to do to me? I can't leave Annie again. After I keep thinking, the games are over. That went by faster than I thought.

"So, what did you think of those games?" Caesar asks.

"I felt like I was watching someone else." I tell him honestly.

"Well that was you Finnick! You did great out there! I've never seen someone so young and so strong." He says encouragingly.

"I know, it's just weird seeing yourself on TV." I tell him.

"Well you should get used to it Finnick. You're going to be on TV once a year every year for the rest of your life." He says nicely. This creeps me out I don't want to be on TV all the time. I don't like being the center of attention, I just like to hang out with my friends and family. But now I know that I don't have a choice, I have to be the Capital's pet, I obey the people, and do whatever they want. I can't handle this at all. I can't be separated from Annie again. I will be separated from her once a month every year, plus an extra two to three months for the games. Why do I have to visit the Capital so often when I can't stand anyone in it?

"To be honest Caesar, I'm not a fan of being the center of attention. I've always liked hanging out with a couple friends and just having fun." I say.

"Well, why would such a handsome lad like you have just a couple friends?" he laughs.

I smile even though I don't mean it. I know they won't get it.

"Well Finnick, when did you realize that you might be able to win?" Caesar asks.

"When I saw the arena, and I saw that it looked like similar to the jungle in 4. I didn't know if I was going to win, but I decided to just run to the cornucopia. And from then on, I realized it would be easier to take risks in the arena then to be to safe. So when the careers wanted to hunt down the others, I jumped at the opportunity." I say.

"I think when you and the careers went to hunt down the others, and you refused to kill Hannah, the girl from your district, you showed a large amount of loyalty. What was your intention on refusing to kill her?" he asks.

"What do you mean by my intention?" I ask.

"Was that an act of you trying to get sponsors, or an act of you respecting the people of your district?" he clarifies.

This question bothers me. Why would I spare someone's life to get one stupid sponsor? "I did it because I know her. I wouldn't kill a girl who went to my school, who helped me in science class. I wasn't doing it for a sponsor." I tell him.

"What a charming young fellow. Don't you think folks?" Caesar asks with his fake cackle.

The crowd starts yelling things like; "we love you Finnick!" and chanting my name.

"Looks like that's all the time we have, we will see you later on your victory tour. Have a nice trip home Finnick." Caesar says.

"I will, thank you." I walk off stage. All the people in the crowd are trying to get my attention. I ignore them, I act as if they're not there. I'm going to have to spend a lot of time with the people of the Capital later on anyway.

I get on the train and eat dinner. I go brush my teeth, put on my pajamas, and go to bed. I can't sleep. I'm so excited to see Annie when I wake up.