Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Annie Pov.

I wake up and someone is knocking on my door. I get up and walk to the door and I open it to find Finnick's parents.

"Um, good morning Mr. and Mrs. Odair. Can I help you with anything?" I ask them, I've never been alone with Finnick's parents before. So this is kind of awkward for me.

"Annie, we were hoping you would want to wake up Finnick with us. We bought him a cake and we wanted to give it to him before he went to school." Mrs. Odair says to me. I don't know what I'm supposed to say, because Finnick has made it perfectly clear to me that he doesn't like to celebrate his birthday. And I don't know how he would respond to his parents making such a big deal of it.

"Yea, okay, you sure you want to wake him though?" I ask trying to stop them from getting Finnick upset.

"Of course, he has to wake up for school anyway." Mr. Odair says.

"Ok" I say, I don't want to hurt his parents feelings. They might think I'm just being rude. I know how Finnick feels but I don't want to come across as some girl who just met him and thinks she knows everything about him. So I just go along with it.

We walk through the halls until we reach Finnick's room. Mr. Odair opens the door and we walk in. Finnick is asleep.

"Honey, wake up" Mrs. Odair says in a sing song voice.

Finnick doesn't wake up, he just lays there.

"Come on son, it's time to wake up" Mr. Odair says as he shakes him a little.

Finnick sits up and looks at all three of us.

"Happy birthday Finnick!" Mrs. Odair says.

"Oh, thanks mom, dad, Annie." Finnick says. His parents smile, they obviously think that he enjoys his birthday I just stand there, staring at Finnick.

"Ok kids, why don't you get ready for school?" Mr. Odair says.

"Ok Dad I will be out in a second" Finnick's parents walk out the door.

"So what are we going to do about school?" I ask "am I going to go to school? If I do go to school, how will we explain the new student thing?" I ask, this is one part of our plan that we didn't realize.

"We can say that you transferred to 4 because your family in your district died and you have family here." Finnick says.

"Would that even work though?" I ask.

"I don't know Ann." He says with a small frown, he is really trying to think of something to say to the school that will allow me to be a student and to live here.

"We can try it, worst thing that happens is they send me back to my district or something." I say giving up a little. I don't want to put Finnick or his family in danger.

"Annie, you must be crazy if you think I would ever let anything like that happen to you. Have you realized that I could not live with myself if something bad happened to you because of me? Annie I drive myself insane a little when I realize that you could get hurt one day. Don't say things like that ok? I wouldn't be able to deal with you being taken away and possibly hurt by the peacekeepers because you left home." Finnick says in a very serious tone of voice that he hasn't used since I met him. Why does he care about me so much? Is it possible that he... No Annie, don't think like that.

"I'm sorry" I tell him. "It's just I haven't met people like you who care this much about me." I walk over to him and I give him a hug. "I know we haven't known each other that long Finnick but you're my best friend."