Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Annie Pov.

Finnick and I sit on what he tells me is called sand. He shows me how to build different things with it like castles. He asks me different things about 6. The districts don't know anything about each other besides what their jobs are. Although I thought that Finnick was annoying when I first met him, he doesn't seem annoying anymore. After an hour or so of us talking about what we do in our districts, he brings up the hunger games. Which is my least favorite topic. We are both 11 years old, and next year we will have to participate in the reaping. Which is why I left my district.

We are one of the poor districts which means I would have to put my name in many times to get my family tesserae. But my parents didn't want me to have to worry about providing for them like many children do. So they sent me on a boat that they built with some cheap wood, the only wood they could afford. And I sailed alone hoping to hit another district where I could live in without anyone knowing, where I would never have to face the reaping.

When I tell Finnick this he seems kind of shock. I wonder if it's because he won't have to enter his name in more than once. But we sit there in silence on the beach staring at the ocean that brought me to this district.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wake up and realize that Finnick is gone. I get kind of upset but realize that I shouldn't trust someone that fast anyway. I decide to try and make myself shelter on the beach. When I walk over to the jungle like area full of trees with coconuts hanging down from them, Finnick comes out and runs right into me.

"Ouch!" I say with a laugh, we seem to hit heads a lot.

"Sorry Ann didn't see you there." He smiles at me. Since when do I have a nickname? I can't help but blush a little he gives me a smirk.

"No problem 'Finn'" I say" He laughs. "What?!" I yell a little.

"Thinking of pet names for me?" He says clearing noticing I blushed when he called me Ann.

"Hey you started the pet name thing first I just played along!" I tell him defending myself.

"Yea okay, sure Ann." He tells me rolling his eyes.

I shove him and he laughs because it obviously didn't hurt.

"Close your eyes, I have a surprise for you" he tells me. I close my eyes and he tells me to open them about 10 minutes later.

There is a beautiful picnic set up in front of me with a ton of food, more food than I get in a week back in 6.

There is bread, three kinds of fish, coconuts, and water.

"Thank you!" I exclaim throwing my arms around Finnick hugging him for what feels like forever.

He gives me a sad smile. "what's wrong?" I ask. "I just didn't realize how hard you guys have it" he says. He must have just realized how seeing this much food to me is crazy. We sit on the beach in silence eating our amazing food. Finnick starts to stand up I grab his hand. "Where are you going?" He looks down at me seeing how desperate I really am, he smirks.

"I was gonna see if you wanted to meet my mom and dad." he tells me.

"Are you crazy?!" I ask. He looks at me like I'm crazy.

"What?!" he says.

"If your parents meet me they might tell the peacekeepers!" I yell.

"Why would my parents do that? I'm sure if we explain to them they will be fine with things." He says.

"What do you mean things?" I ask.

"I was just going to ask if you could live with us you don't have a house here or anything." He tells me I feel bad he was just trying to help me out.

"Okay, but I don't want your parents to give up their space in their home for me it seems rude." I explain I don't want to barge in on his family expecting them to except me right away.

"We have more space than we need, we have an extra bedroom and everything" he says excitedly.

"I guess it can't hurt to introduce myself" I say nervously.

"Great!" He says "let's start heading home then!" He looks so excited, so happy to be helping me. Why is he doing this? I can't comprehend it. But for now I won't question it. I will just let him introduce me to his parents. Everything will be fine... Right?