Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Finnick Pov.

I lay in bed and Annie opens the door. I pretend to be asleep to see what she does. I see her start going through my drawers. All I have in there is clothes and my bathing suites. Then I see her go into a drawer that holds clothes, and my birth certificate. I was adopted. And I knew Annie would figure it out when she saw the last names of my birth parents.

"You gotta search warrant?" I ask sarcastically.

"Sorry" she says embarrassed. "I just came in your room to see if you were awake and I saw that your drawer was open, I went to close it but I saw your birth certificate in here." What a little liar I laugh in my head. I would've told her eventually, she just figured it out first it doesn't bug me that much to be honest, but I decide to give her a hard time about it.

"Aren't you the little stalker?" I ask jokingly.

"I'm not a stalker, I'm just curious!" She says with a smile on her face.

I laugh. "A curious stalker" I mumble.

"Whatever!" She rolls her eyes.

She walks over to the bed, we just stare at each other.

I think of something funny to say and then I tell her "I never thought I'd say this, but I like it when you stalk me." I start laughing.

She hits my arm. We go sit down in the living room. Caesar Flickerman is on the TV. He talks about the upcoming hunger games. I hate my birthday because it's always the day before the reaping.

I frown and Annie picks it up right away. "Finn?" She asks.

"My birthday is tomorrow" I say "but you already know that since you read my birth certificate." I tell her sarcastically to lighten up the mood.

"You won't get picked, you only have to be entered once." She says trying to make me feel better.

"Even if I'm entered once, it just decreases my chances of getting picked. It doesn't guarantee that I won't get picked." I tell her. I want her to know that they could put my name in once but it doesn't mean that it won't get picked.

She doesn't say anything for awhile and we continue watching TV.

I'm getting kind of hungry "Want anything to eat Ann?" I ask.

"Sure" she says.

"Ok I think we have some eggs that I could go make real quick." I tell her.

"Ok cool, let me help." She tells me.

I think to myself that if I don't say yes she can help she will get annoyed and bug me. She doesn't seem like one to take no for an answer. So I say "ok" and we go to the kitchen to cook.

We scramble the eggs, and put on some cheese.

"These are good!" Annie says.

"I gotta say you're quite the chef." I say sarcastically. We both know how easy it is to scramble some eggs.

"So are you" she says in the same sarcastic tone of voice.

We wash the dishes and then we go back to watching the hunger games show. Apparently tomorrow they are going to play reruns from last years games. Who doesn't enjoy watching their kids die not once, but twice? What goes on in the Capital peoples' minds? Let's play these hunger games again so that people can watch their children being murdered all over again. Great idea. The rest of the day we just hang out and talk a little. Dad went to work, mom did chores around the house, and Annie and I spent the day together. When it was time for dinner, mom cooked the fish that dad caught, we sat and are our food and then mom bugged me about my birthday.

"Do you know anything that you might want for your birthday?" She asked. I know that she means well, but I don't like celebrating my birthday. Most kids that live in Panem hate their birthdays. I am one of those kids.

"Mom I don't need anything, lets just go to the beach and hang out." I tell her. I rather spend my day at the beach then have a party and invite kids from school like most kids do. Tomorrow is Monday so I have school, but afterwards we can just go to the beach, splash in the water and just hang out. The ocean can get my mind off of anything negative going on in my life.

"If that's what you really want to do, then let's do it." Dad says. He always tries to agree with me whenever it's possible.

After dinner Annie and I go brush our teeth and I walk her down the hall to her room we say goodnight to each other and I walk down the hall to my room. I don't want to fall asleep, because when I wake up I will be 12 years old. I will be forced to participate in the reaping that is the following day.