Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Finnick Pov.

I guess this is what fear feels like. Discomfort, a weird feeling in your stomach, your body shivers and shakes, everything feels numb and cold. All I can think of is whose names are going to be pulled out of those bowls. If it's mine I need to tell Annie this morning that I do like her. She deserves to find out. She deserves to know the truth. I hear knocking on my bedroom door and I go to open it, when it opens Annie throws her arms around me and brings me in for a hug.

"What's this all about? You have a crush on me now?" I ask her in a sarcastic tone.

"Think what you want, I'm worried about you that's all." she tells me flatly.

"Worried about what?" I ask. I know why she's worried, but I don't want her to worry about me. It's my job to protect her, I don't want her to think she has to protect me.

"You're being entered in the reaping today! I'm scared for you!" she yells a little.

"Because you like me?" I ask hopefully. It would be a lot easier if she admitted that she liked me first. That way, I wouldn't have to tell her. This is a lot harder than I expected.

"Why do you care so much if I like you?" she asks. "is it because you like me?"

"Hmmm, give me a minute to answer that." I tell her. I'm trying to figure out how to tell her how I feel. I know how I feel but I don't know how to put it into words. When she's around, my hands get sweaty, my heart races, my stomach turns, and my arms get goosebumps.

"Finnick!" she yells.

"Hey what happened to Finn?" I ask trying to change the subject to buy myself some more time to think.

"That's not what we're talking about right now." she tells me.

"Oh you're the boss?" I ask sarcastically.

"Would you stop changing the subject?!" Now I know it's killing her to know the truth.

"Fine the truth is..." I begin to say.

We hear a knock on the door and walk to see who it is. It turns out to be one of the peacekeepers.

"Hello may I speak to your parents young man?" he asks politely.

"Sure just give me one second." I respond. I'm sure he is just going around with reminders about the reaping today. They do it every year.

My mom walks over to the door. "Hello." she says.

"Hello Mrs. Odair." the peacekeeper says.

"Can I help you with anything?" she asks.

"We just wanted to let you know that Mr. and Mrs. Brown, Jerry's parents aren't happy with your child punching him in the face. He has had a bloody nose and he has a black eye." He explains.

Oh shoot! I think to myself.

"Oh no, I'm so sorry I will make sure Finnick apologizes to him tomorrow." she says softly. I know she's upset and disappointed in me. It takes a lot for her to be angry, I don't think she's angry. I do think she's disappointed though.

"Thank you, sorry to bother you but we don't take these matters lightly. If he does things like this as an adult, there will be punishments. Also don't forget about the reaping today." he reminds her.

"Okay, thank you for the reminder." she thanks him.

When the peacekeeper leaves I know I'm in a lot of trouble. Hopefully I will won't be punished too harshly.