Chapter 24

Chapter 27

Finnick Pov.

The games are today. Today I could lose my life. I'm scared, but I know this is the only way to get home. What am I going to grab from the cornucopia? I'm going for the trident, but if they don't have them I'm going for spears. I guess I'm still going to partner up with the careers. They told me that they wanted to partner up, but I never gave them an answer. Hopefully they won't mind me tagging along on their alliance. I don't think they'll mind, but they might tell me that it's too late and that I had the opportunity to team up with them. I don't think they'll do that though, I seem to get along with Shine the best, she understands me and has been helpful and supportive to me. But she could be faking it so that she gains my trust and then slits my throat in the games. I think of all the possible scenarios, I'm so scared of dying, so scared of being seperated from Annie. The thought of losing her is the worst thing I can think of. So I bury all my feelings in my heart, and only think of winning. I only think of hearing the words from Claudius Templesmith; "I present to you, the winner of the 65th Hunger Games, Finnick Odair!' When I hear these words, my life will change. But I can't gurantee that I'll hear them, I just need to have hope. Pearl walks in my room, she tells me that breakfast is on the table. I go out and see Hannah and Mags eating pancakes, eggs, and bacon. Not the best breakfast I've ate while I was here. I was honestly expecting something more extravegent considering it is my last meal in the capital. But I'm not complaining, I want to eat a lot of the food especially the eggs. I need to fill myself up before the games. After I stuff my face with all the food I can hold down, Annie, my stylist, and I, walk outside to the hovercraft. We are transported into some building far away from the Capital. We walk into a room, the first thing I notice is the strange tube like elevator. I'm guessing this is how I get into the games. I look around and see my outfit hanging for the arena. I see black, leather boots on the ground, the clothes hanging are tan colored pants, an undershirt, a short sleeve shirt, and a long sleeve shirt with a jacket. I really hope that I'm not getting thrown into some frozen wasteland. That would suck. I'm not familiar with snow at all. I grew up minutes away from a beach! How am I supposed to know about snow and ice? Calm down Finnick, I think to myself, you don't know what kind of arena it's going to be yet. Annie tells me that one year when she made clothes for one of the tributes, they sent them to a jungle. A jungle would be perfect. If it's a jungle, I'd be really familiar with everything and I would most likely be able to win.

"You ready?" Annie asks.

"Ready as I'll ever be I guess." I say.

"You're going to do good. The ones driven by love always are." She tells me with a sad smile.

"Thanks Annie." I tell her.

"Go get em' Finnick, literally." She says.

"I'll do my best." I walk into the tube and Annie waves by to me. I look up and I can't see anything yet. I get to the top of the arena. It's a jungle! The odds are in my favor! The clock starts counting down from 60. I look at Shine and she nods her head at me and points to the cornocoupia which I think it means that they want me on their team. I look at Sam and he nods his head to. I guess I'm in their alliance after all. I look at the cornocupia and I don't see a trident. Darn it! Ten seconds. No trident? This sucks! Five seconds. I do see spears, I'm gonna have to settle, I could make them into a trident. It won't be as good, but I'll be more familiar with it.

"Let the 65th Annual Hunger Games Begin!" Claudius Templesmith's voice exclaims.

The gong goes off and I run at full speed. I grab three spears, and two backpacks. There's someone behind me and I throw the spear at him. He falls to the ground and I hear the first cannon. I killed the first person? I see another person but it's no one I want to kill, it's Sam.