Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Finnick Pov.

We start walking through the jungle to get to my house. I can tell that Annie is uncomfortable and nervous. She hasn't said a word which is odd for Annie. I like talking to her and I think she likes talking to me. So I know that she's uncomfortable because she hasn't really said a word since she finally agreed to go with me to meet my parents and possibly move in temporarily. I decide I need to break the ice so I say "so are you nervous?" I ask. She doesn't answer she just keeps staring at nothing. Like she is completely lost in thought. I wonder what she's thinking about right now. What's going on in that beautiful, intelligent mind of hers. I want to get her attention this is the longest we've gone without talking since we met. "Uh hello? Ann? Annie?" I say attempting to get her attention.

"Huh what?" She asks. "oh sorry, I zoned out a little." She explains. I wonder what she was so focused on that she didn't even notice me talking to her. What is she thinking? Why do I care so much? Why do I want to know so badly what she thinks of me?

When we reach the front porch, I see my mom and dad talking. They look upset and I don't know why and first and then I think to myself 'duh stupid, you haven't been home since yesterday morning!' Because of me they not let Annie stay as a punishment to me to teach me a lesson about not leaving the house for so long. I could be putting her in danger because of me. I need to lie. I hate lying, and I hate secrets, but if it means protecting Annie I don't have a choice.

My mother sees me when I open the door. "Finnick!" She yells. "Where have you been?! Your father and I have been worried sick. We were going to call the peacekeepers if you didn't show up by morning.

"Would you like to explain where you have been all day and last night young man?!" My dad yells/asks.

Annie steps next to me instead of staying behind me. She looks up shyly at my parents.

"Who is this?" Mom asks.

"Mom, this is Annie." I say.

"Nice to meet you Annie." She says. I know she wants the details on where I have been. But I don't want to mention that Annie is from another district. I don't know how she would react. I think my dad would be fine with it, but my mom might be against the idea.

"Mom Annie's parents died and they lived here but I was hoping she could stay with us temporarily." I lie. I feel bad lying to my mom and dad. I don't want to lie to them, but I can't take the chance of them possibly telling the peacekeepers. I couldn't live with myself knowing that because of me, they did something horrible to Annie.

"It's nice to meet you, I don't want you to feel pressured into letting me stay in your house though." Annie says. She's being polite to my parents, that's something my mom likes. My dad doesn't care he supports me in everything I do. I appreciate how Annie is. How she's not like other girls in 4 that would be rude and snobby. She's unique, she's different, in a good way.

Mom and dad exchange glances before dad says "Annie, you are more than welcome to stay with us for as long as you need"

"Thank you Mr. And Mrs. Odair. I appreciate this very much." Annie says, I can tell she means it to. She's genuinely being king and grateful towards my parents and I.

"Finnick I know you were just helping a friend, but next time let us know where you are!" Mom yells.

"I will mom. Should I show Annie to the guest room?" I ask trying to change the subject, the more questions mom and dad ask, the more information they're going to get and they might be able to piece together what happened yesterday.

"Yes" mom says with an annoyed tone in her voice.

I walk Annie towards her room she looks around our house. We still haven't talked since the picnic. It's hard not talking to her for so long. She's like a fish. You catch and get excited, but it flops back in the water and you try to reel it back in. That's how I feel when we don't talk. We get into her room and she looks around and sees her bed and all the seashells and starfish.

"Like your room?" I ask.

"Like it? I love it." She says with a wide smile that reveals all her shiny white teeth.

"Good, I'm glad." I respond. She stares at my eyes for awhile and I stare into hers. They're so blue and sparkly. Like diamonds, big perfect beautiful diamonds.

"Thanks for everything you've done for me, I don't know how to thank you." Annie thanks me.

I smile in my head thinking of a way to get something out of it from her that I want thats simple so I say "I think a hug goodnight is enough thanks for me." And sure enough she throws her skinny arms around me and gives me the warmest hug I've ever felt.

"Goodnight Finnick" she says.

"Goodnight Ann." I say.

She closes the door and I go in my room. I lay in my bed thinking of Annie the entire time. How I want to know every detail about her, everything she likes, everything she doesn't like. I'm curious to learn more about her. I want to get to know her.