Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Finnick Pov.

We have a week to train for the games. There are many stations and I'm going to try them all. But I'm going to save the tridents for personal training. I'm really good at tridents. I use them for fishing. One time my dad took Annie and I fishing and when I started, I had killed about five fish in about a minute. I need to use my trident skills to my advantage. So I start with things I don't know. I start with snares. Snares are important if you want food. Annie would be good at this, she has small fingers. I get the basic knot down, but I decide to try the more advance ones. There are ten different snares and after I complete them all with the help of the instructor, I leave that station. I walk over to where they have the weapons. Of course the tributes from one and two are hogging this station. I decide to try spear throwing. I grab a spear and walk over to the targets.

"Excuse me." I try to say politely.

"Let's watch squirt try and throw a spear." the boy from two says as he and the other tributes move. I stand in front of the target, pull my arm back, and throw the spear. It goes flying and it hits the dummy right in the stomach which is the bullseye.

"Nice throw kid." the girl from one says.

"Is that your first time throwing?" the other girl asks.

"Yea." I say "other than the occasional training at school I've never thrown a spear like that. We have fake ones so that we can't hurt anyone."

"I think we all under estimated you kid. You're welcome to join us if you want." the boy from two offers.

"Thanks, I'll talk to my mentor." I tell him. If partnering up with these guys helps me get back to Annie, I'll do it.

I try sword fighting and I'm pretty good. I'm better at spear throwing though and best at tridents. But I still haven't used one in front of the others. I decide to try knife throwing. The girl from one shows me some good ones for throwing and some good ones for combat. I throw one of them and hit the left arm. I throw another and hit the left leg.

"Try throwing more to the right so then you can hit the middle." she tells me.

"Will do." I throw the knife to the right and it hits the dummy in the stomach. "Thanks."

"No problem kid, if you're gonna be in our alliance then you gotta know how to do this stuff." she says.

She walks over to the other stations. I walk to the shelter building station and build a hut that I can fit in. I made it out of leaves and sticks. it's about four feet tall, and five feet long and I can curl up in it. I ask Hannah to come see if she can fit and now I know it can fit two people. I'm gonna try and build something like this in the arena if I have the right materials to do it. The bell rings to tell us that training is over. They let the tributes eat lunch together so that they can discuss alliances and strategize. I walk over and grab my tray so that it can get food. I get a tuna salad and grilled chicken. I'm trying to eat a lot of protein and foods that will help me get stronger. I search for a place to sit and the careers wave their hands over to me, telling me to sit with them. I walk over and sit down next to the boy from one.

"Eating healthy?" the girl from two asks.

"Yea I figured I need protein." I tell her.

"Smart, thinking ahead." The boy from two says.

"So what's your guys' names?" I ask.

"I'm Shine." the girl from one says.

"I'm Sam." the boy from two says.

"I'm Max." says the boy from one.

"And I'm Jackie." says the girl from two.

"I'm Finnick." I say.

"Wait you aren't Finnick Odair are you?" Jackie asks.

"Yes I am." I say. "why do you ask?"

"You're that guy that the girl what's her name? Um-" Shine starts to say.

"Bethany!" Max says.

"Oh you're the guy that Bethany liked." Sam says. "So the girls like you back home?"

"I guess." I say modestly.

"So do you really have a girlfriend?" Shine asks.

"Yea." I say quietly.

"Aww, did she come to say bye?" Jackie asks.

"Yea." I respond.

"Is she that cute girl who was crying when your name got drawn?" Sam asks.

"Yup." I say.

"If it's too hard to talk about, we can change the subject." Shine offers.

"It's okay, it feels good to talk about her." I tell them.

"What did she say when she visited you?" Jackie asks.

"She walked in and I told her that I love her and that I wanted to win for her." I tell them.

"I feel so bad for you guys. You seem like the perfect couple." Shine says.

"Thanks. I've been missing her a ton though. It's like everything reminds me of her." I forget who I'm talking to. This is my competition but it's like they genuinely feel sorry for Annie and I.

"I know how it feels, I have a boyfriend back home." Shine says.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I tell her.

"Yea but he's going to probably end up with some other girl the minute I die." she says. "Annie doesn't seem like she would do that. When I got picked, John didn't even hug me goodbye. He kept trying to give me different strategy ideas."

"That doesn't seem like the best goodbye." I say.

"It wasn't at all what I expected. I should've dumped him then and there, but I don't know. I'm probably going to die anyways so who cares." she says with pure sadness in her voice.

Jackie pats her back and the rest of lunch we talk about what we are good and bad at. I don't bring up the tridents. I tell them that I'm bad at archery, okay at knives and swords, and good at spears. I also tell them I can build shelter that can fit two people, and I can make snares. They seem impressed so that's good. These guys are okay, I don't know how long I'll be able to stick with them, but I need to do everything I can to win these games. I need to do everything I can to get home to Annie.