chapter 22

"Hello? Is anyone down there?" Elena asked before a strong looking, blonde-haired man came out from the ocean.

"Hello there." the man greeted and smiled warmly to the girl.

"Hey, you're Aquaman, my parents told me a lot about you," Elena smiled to the underwater superhero who could talk to fish. "I've always dreamt of meeting you."

"We've met before, but it was very long ago, my dear," Aquaman replied. "You were just a toddler."

"W-We've met before?" Elena smiled.

"Yes, do you still have the necklace you've had ever since you were a toddler?" Aquaman smiled.

"It's in my room," Elena replied. "I... Uh... Well, I wear it on special occasions... I wore it for the May Day Festival when we all came up with our own hulas."

"Would it by any chance have a pink clam attached to it?" Aquaman smiled.

"Yes, that's the one," Elena smiled back. "Mom said it was a birthday present."

"From me, if you don't mind, I would like to see it with you, I want to show you something." Aquaman told her.

"Okay." Elena agreed.

"Great, I'll get you home." Aquaman smiled.

Elena smiled back.

Later that night back home, as promised, Atticus read The Princess and the Goblin to Darla when she was all ready for bed.

Darla smiled as she imagined possibly and hopefully meeting the characters in the story someday and where she would as there was a spell at the back of the last page.

Atticus then decided to save that for later. "Good night, Darla."

Darla smiled in her sleep as she hugged her teddy bear and Atticus tucked her in and put the book on the shelf and let her get some sleep.

"Thanks for reading to her tonight," Emily smiled. "She just loves it when you do the stories."

"Well, I hope she loves the adventure we'll have in it." Atticus smiled.

Emily looked curious at what he meant by that, but she guessed she would find out later. Atticus bid his parents a good night as he went to get himself and Patch to bed for the night.

Back in Hawaii...

Elena walked inside with Yin and Yang. "I'm home!"

"Elena, um, what adorable creatures you've brought with you." Elena's mother smiled nervously.

"Mom, this is Yin, and this is Yang." Elena introduced her new pets.

"Um, it's nice to meet you both," Elena's mother smiled nervously. "Well, at least we won't have to have your father harm them."

"Where is Dad anyway?" Elena asked.

"Sorry, dear, but he took the night shift today," Elena's mother replied. "He'll have the weekend off though."

"Great!" Elena beamed.

"And sorry for saying that your father might hurt them, dear; I'm just concerned for....Teresa's mother." Elena's mother frowned.

"Is Mrs. Whitehurst okay?" Elena asked since her mother seemed unhappy.

"Y-Yes, dear, but she's a little bruised." Elena's mother frowned.

"Oh, dear..." Elena frowned back.

Yin and Yang started to comfort Elena as this had to be hard on her friend. Elena smiled softly to Yin and Yang. Elena's mother smiled as she saw these creatures were gentle with her daughter.