Wicked: The Second Time Around, Part One

I’ve been up in the air for almost twenty one hours. A two-hour flight from NAIA to Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, then an excruciating fourteen hour flight from there to Amsterdam-Schiphol Airport, and another three hours going to Santorini National Airport, plus the one-hour expedition from Boracay to Manila and the almost seven hour wait in between flights. In short, it was a distressing journey away from the madness that occurred in that wretchedly beautiful paradise and I had the ample time to ponder things over and clear my head.

        I couldn’t get Damon’s face out of my head. His reaction to my questions, the imprudent pity in his eyes, and the fact that he didn’t even defend himself all imprinted in my mind like a fresh tattoo—it hurt, and it was going to be there permanently.

       How was I going to explain my sudden arrival to Mom and Dad?

       My plane landed at around ten in the evening and I immediately recognized the familiar brunette that was enthusiastically waving for my attention. Mom. Behind her was Dad, waving as well, but not as jubilant as my mother was. Immediately, they encased me in a tight embrace. Dad helped me with my luggage and they led me to a white Jeep Wrangler.

       “Oh my God Romnick, you finally got what you wanted!” I cried in delight after seeing the classic vehicle—well, classic for my father. He’s always wanted one of these but never really got to getting one back home because he said and I quote, “it doesn’t fit in this kind of lavish environment”, unquote. “I thought Mom would always talk you out of getting one.”

       “It was actually your Mom’s idea.” He replied. “She said I looked hot in it.”

       I laughed, getting in at the back seat. “Geez Mom, you still use that phrase?”

       “What? Are people past forty not allowed to use that word anymore?” Mom retorted.

       I rolled my eyes. “Uh, pretty much?”

       They both laughed and Dad departed the airport. The skyline here in Santorini was less bright than in Boracay, but I figured we were in the more discreet part of the island. Besides, I wouldn’t mind serenity right now.

       “So honey,” Mom started, looking back at me from the passenger’s. “Tell me about Philippines.”