1st Birthday

Elsa's POV:

It's been a year since my baby was born. A year since I heard his first cries. A year since Jack came back into our lives. 

It's been a year of crying, snotty noses, diaper changes, and sleep loss. But also a year of love, happiness, kisses, hugs, and firsts. 

Christian's first word was "Mama". I cried when I heard him call out Mama one morning when I came in to get him. When Jack came in later, he had a look of confusion on his face as to why I was crying. A couple days later he called Jack "Dada" and Jack had the very similar reaction as me, understanding crossing his face as he looked up at me.

Christian started crawling before my birthday and soon started climbing anything and everything. He is able to stand on his own without any support, but he still hasn't been able to walk.

And since today is Christian's first birthday, Jack and I are throwing a small party. Just my sister and the Guardians. But today is also our anniversary so we'll be together, alone, later tonight.

Thoughts fly through my head as I hang snowflake decorations in Christian's room. I didn't notice that anyone had come in to the room until I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist from behind.

"Hey beautiful," Jack whispers in my ear.

"Hello to you too," I giggle as I turn around to face him. "Did you get everything I asked you to?"

"Yes," He assures me. "And it's right on the table over there."

"Thank goodness," I sigh. "I was starting to worry."

"There's nothing for you to worry about," He states, kissing the tip of my nose. "Want to see what I got the little guy?"

"Of course," I exclaim. 

He pulls me towards the stack of things that he brought for the party and pulls out a small sweatshirt. It was exactly like his sweatshirt. 

"That is adorable," I cooed as I took the piece of clothing in my hands. "He's going to look like a mini you!"

Jack chuckles and and hugs me from behind as I coo over his gift.

"Can I see what you got him?" He whispers.

I nod and walk over to where I hid his gift in his dresser. I gently pull out a small rattle.  I smile gently and turn around to show Jack.

"A toy?" He questions.

"Yes, but it's special," I explain. "It's been passed down in my family from first born to first born on their first birthday. I'm now able to pass it down."

Jack smiles gently and kisses my cheek.

"Sounds like a very sweet tradition," He approved.

I smile back and nod, while turning to look out the window. 

"It's almost time for the party!" I gasped. "There's still a lot to do before everyone shows up!"

"What do we need to do?" Jack asks while trying to calm me down.

I quickly rattle off everything we need to do and we set off. Soon everything is set up.

"Mama! Dada!" Comes a happy cry from outside the room.

I smile widely and turn towards the door to see my baby crawling through with Auntie Anna right behind him. I kneel down and open my arms to him. 

"Come here baby," I coo.

I watch as he pushes himself into a standing position and then slowly and unsteadily starts taking steps towards me.

"His first steps!" I exclaim, tears welling up in my eyes. 

Christian continues taking steps until he falls into my arms. I wrap my arms around him and hold him close. Jack crouches down beside us and wraps his arms around us both.

"Happy Birthday Christian," I whisper gently to him.