Chapter 17

We walk down the path, through a large parkland, moving slowly towards the nightclub district. As we get closer to the clubs we can hear music. Alex grins as I twirl under his arm, pulling me into him.

"You make me happy even when you are being a pain in the arse."

"And you make me happy too, even when you are being an insufferable prat."

"Insufferable prat huh?"

I nod. Just when I think that he might do something cheeky like chase me or put me over his shoulder, we hear a grunting noise. Alex frowns and walks over to the bushes that is near the path. I follow him over and see what he has discovered, a young man having his way with a nearly comatose woman. She is so drunk or drugged she has no clue what he is doing to her.

"What do you want?" he growls at us.

"I was just wondering what you see in a woman that is so unresponsive." Alex says so calmly.

"None of your business, now piss off."

"No, I don't think so."

In a split second he has him lifted in the air, holding him by the collar of his shirt. The man cries out as Alex sinks his teeth into him. The woman on the ground groans, moving her head slightly. Alex looks at me.

You can have her if you like but keep in mind what she may have consumed.

He tosses the man's body further into the bushes and pounces in the same direction, almost like an animal. I kneel beside the woman, I can hear her heart beat low, her breathing shallow. Her clothing is ripped, this man has hurt her, there are scratches and bruises on her body. I don't know if I could feed from her, regardless of whether she has been drugged. She has suffered enough.

"Are you going to take her?"

I look up at Alex and shake my head. I pull her clothes over her breasts, trying to cover her.

"I think she has suffered enough."

"You could end her suffering."

I get up from the ground.

"Not this one. I will find someone else tonight."

We stand in the queue to get into the club. I wrap my arms around his waist, his fingers twirl my hair. This is taking too long, I'm hungry now. I complain in my mind. I know, but this club is worth it. The line moves a little, I giggle as Alex lifts me slightly off the ground, moving me closer to the door. I was thinking about that night at the park. Oh? my tone rather clipped. I would hope that we always feed together, but if there were a time that you did it by yourself I would like to know that you are safe. How do you mean? Uh, you couldn't fight him off Steph. So I won't pick men if I feed by myself. He frowns at me. I inwardly sigh. Fine mister overprotective, what do you want me to do? Self-defence, I'll have someone come to the house. I roll my eyes. I saw that. You were meant to. The line moves again, this time we are almost at the front of the queue. I just want to know that you are safe, you will get an unnatural strength when your body fully changes, but until that happens you are... What? Weak? I frown at him. No. he sighs struggling with his words. I didn't know what I was, if I did I would have used these things on him. I flash a bit of pearly white at him, he leans in and kisses me. I know, I should have told you sooner, my bad.

The couple in front of us complain rather loudly at the wait and the bouncer kicks them out of the line. Alex looks rather smug as we move to the top of the queue. Stupid humans. He politely nods at the bouncer and says nothing. The bouncer looks at me and my tight, revealing dress and lifts the velvet rope, letting us in.