Chapter 3

After I have an awful passport photo taken and we have an insanely expensive lunch we return to the manor house for my lessons. It's like I never left school. Alex gives me the guided tour of the house whilst telling me about his country and its people, the major exports and the state of the economy. As we pass from room to room, the maids curtsy him, the servants bow and by the time we make it to the end of the second floor, my feet are aching.

"My room." He says, eyes low, a tiny smirk.

Alex opens the door to the room, which would be above the servant's quarters. In fact, I think it covers the entire servant's quarters. It is sectioned with rooms off a main lounge area, the walls covered with bookshelves filled with books.

"We can spend the afternoon here, if you like, learning from these books."

"Sure."

He gestures to the lounge and follows me to the lounge sitting on the same lounge as me, facing me, as he did last night. The afternoon's discussion had started with the topics of his country and his duties but it soon turned to me and my life. He was intrigued and listened avidly. He insisted that I join him for dinner to continue the conversation. By the time I was ready for bed, I thought that I must have spoken thousands of words and that his ears might be bleeding.

I put my hand on the door handle to the servant's quarters, feeling his warmth so close to me. This is pure hell. Turning around he's close but still at an appropriate distance.

"Good night Stephanie."

He grins his hands behind his back, watching me as I turn redder than a tomato.

"Good night Alex."

Alex turns and walks down the corridor, his hands still linked behind his back. Total and utter hell.

When I close the door to my bedroom I hear a meowing from the window. I turn on the light and see my furry friend is back. I pull open the windows.

"Hello kitty cat."

He purrs as he walks onto the bench seat.

"What have you been up to today?"

The cat flops down onto his side and rolls onto his back.

"Oh you are just the cutest." I say as I scratch his belly.

I stand up from the bench seat trying to push him to stand up.

"Kitty, I am off to bed, out you go."

The cat gets up and jumps off the bench seat and jumps up on my bed laying down, looking at me.

"Sure just make yourself comfortable." I say as I close the windows.

"You had better not have fleas, cat."

I walk into the wardrobe and get out my pyjamas, silk camisole and matching French knickers. As I wander into the bathroom and the cat follows me. His tail rises into the air, gently swaying as he walks.

"Where do you think you are going?"

I sigh as begin to remove my clothes, the cat sits and watches me.

"Cat you need to stop perving on me or I will kick you out."

He gets up and begins to wrap himself around my legs, purring the whole time. I turn on the shower and stand there shocked as the cat walks into the shower under the water.

"I thought cats didn't like water."

He continues to wrap himself around my legs as I wash myself. Then he leaves the shower, shakes the water off himself and leaves the room.