Chapter 32

I wander through the lounge room and see an enormous painting, a casual portrait of a man and a woman with a baby. It hangs over a beautiful fireplace that dominates the room, neatly surrounding it is an ornate lounge and two black wing back chairs. The fire gently licks at the air, crackling the wood with a few pops. But the painting draws me closer, their eyes watching me. Looking over me. I stop one of the servants as he passes me.

"Your highness?"

"Is that me?"

"Yes your highness."

"And my parents?"

"Yes your highness. Is that all your highness?"

"Yes, thank you."

I look at the painting, my mother, my father, both looking happy. I am in my mother's arms, asleep.

"You are the spitting image of her."

I turn and see the queen behind me.

"That was the day that you were christened."

"Vampires can be christened?"

"Yes, the churches official stance is that vampires do not exist."

I frown. "How is it that we could even enter the church? Wouldn't we... you know, holy ground?"

She smiles.

"A vampire enter any building, holy ground, anything."

Oh.

"How are your parents coping with it?"

"Surprisingly well."

"Are they planning on moving here, turning?"

"I think so."

Penny enters the room and curtsies.

"Your Highness."

"Penny, how are the preparations going?"

"Very well, everything is on track for this afternoon."

"Well then, it might be time for you to get ready."

The guests stand as I walk down the aisle, followed by my ladies in waiting. I see some faces that I remember from the council meeting and it fills me with dread, will Finn be here? Of course I would. Finn? Who else would enter your mind like this, on such an important occasion with total disregard for it? I giggle in my mind. I miss you he whispers almost like it is a wind blowing through my mind. Finn, please... I know, you are married now, this is what I meant by if I were to pursue you my future would hold pain, I knew who you were and what the future would be, it was foolish of me to chase you, I should have known better. Oh, Finn, don't be like that, you know you had fun. Yeah, I guess I did. So what did Godfrey give you? Promise you won't be upset? I promise. I look over at him as I get closer to him, a young woman stands in front of him, she looks similar to me, but has some distinct differences. Made to measure? Of course. She is beautiful. Her muse is more beautiful. Aww, how sweet. I just want to say, it was a great time and I will never forget you and if you ever feel like cheating on Alex, make sure I am the first one you call. I will keep that in mind. Alina? Finn! He laughs as I reach the alter. I love you. A tear wells in my eye as I try to hold it back, not wanting anyone to notice. I love you too, always. The priest begins the service for my coronation. I didn't think that this was necessary for the vampiric world, but a few months ago, I guess I didn't know it existed or even the fact that I was one.

After the pomp and pageantry, I am queen of the vampiric kingdom of Rostonin and of the Elm'nyth Realm, the day had been declared a national holiday in my honour and in true vampiric tradition we partied into the wee hours of the morning. Even the werewolves hung around which apparently is unusual. I worried about my parents being that they were human in a room full of many, many vampires but I was informed that Terrance threatened them with death if they touched even a hair on their bodies. No dark being was ever to drain a single ounce of blood from the new queen's adoptive parents.