Chapter 23

By the afternoon Terrance has called the council members for an update on the Melody situation. Again the ballroom is prepared for every single member of the three councils and again we sit and wait for the member of Rostonin to show. But of course, they do not, and now I know why. They are guilty of their crimes and are too scared to turn up. Everyone is relieved that Melody is dead, she is no longer a threat. One person even said that Godfrey should have killed her long ago and the normally quiet Miranda spoke and said that Godfrey would do no such thing.

After the meeting, everyone stayed for light refreshments, the maids and the butlers scurrying around, feeding the masses. I had managed to lose Alex somewhere in the crowd, I searched for him, feeling uneasy around so many hungry vampires and Finn. He had watched me throughout the entire meeting, but never spoke to me, which I found odd.

"Who you looking for girlfriend?"

I spin around and see Miranda.

"Alex."

"He left a few minutes ago." she says taking my hand, pulling me out of the ballroom.

In the quiet of the entry, she pauses and frowns, pulling my hand up the stairs towards his bedroom. She moves quicker, almost making me run, panic begins to set in as I think that he might be in danger. The main doors to his room fly open with one movement of her hand and when we get into the central room, I sink to my knees unable to cope with what I see.

"You are unbelievable; you know that?" Miranda hisses at him. "You just can't control yourself, can you?"

He quickly does up his pants, pushing aside the vampire kneeling at his feet. Miranda lifts me to my feet, I have no tears, I have no words. His promises of fidelity mean nothing. She drags me out of his room and before I know it we are passing through the entry. In the blur of people, I make one face out, Finn. His expression sad, almost like he knows. Baby, I am so sorry he whispers to me.

When the blur settles, I am surrounded by trees. She takes my hand, interlocking my fingers with hers, pulling me down a path.

"I am going to give you some time away, peace and quiet, away from him. I think you need it."

The path stops at a rock face, towering high above the canopy. She holds out her hand and a gold fire appears on her palm, receding into a key. Facing the rock wall, a little fire outlines a rectangle shape and she puts the key into the wall, a key hole appears. A section of the wall opens; a door has been created. More trees are beyond the rock face, the path continues.

"This is Loach Issralk, the new realm that Godfrey has been creating for the shape shifters. There is no one here yet, you will be alone, there are animals here, but they are all placid creatures, nothing to fear. At the end of the path there is a cabin, you can stay there, the fridge is full of food, there are clothes, anything you may need."

As she hugs me, pulling me tight against her body, I feel a gust of cool wind pass us. I close my eyes, trying so hard to feel something, feeling like I should be upset, angry at him, but I have nothing.

"Maybe a week?"

I nod.

"If you want to come back earlier you can call me."

"How, in your mind?"

"No, we cannot speak in our minds from realm to realm." she pulls my wrist turning it over exposing my mark.

"Your other hand, two fingers, press down on it like this until the colour appears, you will need to be in the elements like I was that day in the lake, ok?"