Prologue

My papa holds my hand as we walk down the path towards home.

"My belly is very full papa."

"Yes granny makes a nice pie doesn't she?"

I nod my head very fast. I like grannie's pies and I like going to stay at her place. The gravel of the road crunches beneath my feet, the long strands of grass whip at my legs. I grab a flower as we pass it.

"For mama."

Mama has been gone for a long time. Papa said she has gone to visit the lord. I do not understand why she has not come back. I miss her.

"She will love it angel."

The moon is high; it shines as bright as the sun.

"Are you going to help your old man with the lambing this year angel?"

"Yes papa. I like the baby lambies."

Two yellow circles approach us.

"Off the road for the car angel."

Papa takes my hand and we step off the gravel onto the grass. It whooshes past us. It is going very fast. I hear a terrible noise and the car stops, the air fills with dust from the ground. It makes me sneeze.

"Oh no!" my papa cries out. "Stay here angel, papa will help the people."

My papa gasps and he pulls me behind a tree.

"Do not move angel, be quiet as a mouse." he whispers.

I nod my head quietly. My papa watches from behind the tree, I creep to the other side of it. I see a dark shadow wrestling with the man from the car, the shadow holds a pole and stabs the man with it. The man cries out, his screeching hurts my ears. I hear a baby crying, the shadow takes the baby from the car, it cries as the shadow holds it up to the moonlight. Papa moves and the shadow looks towards us, its eyes are red, big scary red eyes. It bundles the baby into its shadow and flies at papa. The shadow bites papa, papa cries in pain. I stand still, my legs cannot move, the shadow looks at me, I hear the baby crying. It flies at me and I try to run away but the shadow pushes me to the tree, it whispers something in a scary voice and then it walks to the road. A car slows down and the shadow gets in. I hear papa, he is groaning with his pain. The car drives away very quickly, leaving us alone.

"Angel, help papa up."

I nod, I no longer have any words. My mouth can open but my words are not there. I cannot yell or whisper. I cannot speak. The shadow took them from me. My papa limps along the road, to the car. He gasps again.

"Oh angel, do not look." he whimpers. "Oh these poor people, they have been murdered."