Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Finnick Pov.

I'm sitting on the beach. Picking up the sand and letting it fall through my fingers. I stare at the ocean lost in thought. I get distracted when I see arms failing around, it's a person drowning. I start walking into the warm ocean, the waves are crazy right now! This person can't be from 4 we have had storms crazier than this in 4 but only two or three people died. I finally reach the person. It's a girl she's about my age, she has silky brown, wavy hair that is very long. She's super skinny. I pick her up and I think to myself I've caught bigger fish than her! I lay her on the beach, I check her pulse and it's still going, but if can barely tell that she's breathing. I start giving her CPR. After about two to three minutes she wakes up hitting my head when she sits up.

"Oh sorry!" She says, "I'm kind of a clutz." She explains.

"Don't worry about it" I say. I can't help but stare at her, I've never seen anyone look like her in 4.

"Thank you, you saved my life." She says. She seems nice, I want to know more about her though she seems so different.

"Don't sweat it, so you can't be from 4 when your from 4 you are born a swimmer." I say. I'm not trying to insult her but I know she's not from this district, she would be able to walk through those waves if she was.

"Actually I'm from 6" she says she takes a pause before speaking again. "Aren't you going to rad me out to the peacekeepers now?!" She exclaimed I gotta admit I definitely wasn't expecting that.

"Why do you think that?" I ask. I don't understand why she thinks I would do such a thing and I'm curious on what she is going to say next.

"Why wouldn't you do that?" She asks. Clearly not convinced that I'm not going to rad her out. I wouldn't do something like that to someone.

"Wow, do the other districts hate us as much as people say?" I ask her, people have told me before that other people in the districts can't stand people from 1, 2, and 4. They call us the careers. The tributes from these districts win almost every year.

"Well you are the capital's lapdogs." She says. This does sting a little. I do feel bad for other people in the districts that aren't as lucky as us. Not everyone can live the life of a 'career'.

"Aren't you nice to the people who save you?" I say sarcastically. I start to get up and off the sand. I don't know why though.. I don't actually want to leave this girl.

"I'm sorry" she says "It's just hard and unfair how we're treated and you guys have it so easy." She tells me. Now I know she didn't mean it she just has struggled her way through life, I can see it by looking into her eyes.

"Everything's not perfect here either you know?" I tell her, even though it's not as bad here as it is in her district, I don't want her to think we're pampered royalty either because we're not. We still have to work for the capital like everyone else and enter our names in the reaping like everyone else.

"We got off on the wrong foot can we maybe try to get to know each other better? She asks, she's desperate. But then again why wouldn't she be? She doesn't have anyone in this district except me.

"My name is Finnick" I say "Finnick Odair"

"Annie" she says.

"Annie" I start to smile at her. "I like that name."